Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fells and Dales ponies  (Read 5655 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Fells and Dales ponies
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:19:47 pm »
I may be in the market for a new equine over the next few months. I have (and have had) Exmoors but looking for something a little bigger. I also don't want anything very sharp-I am quite an experienced (if a little out of practice) rider who just wants to get on and hack-so something that needs to be good in farm traffic, happy to live out and to not go bonkers if I can't ride for a bit.

Does anyone have any experience of Fells and Dales please? ridden Dales seem quite rare. I'm in Southern Scotland, happy to travel to find out more and view when the time comes. Have one to sell before I seriously start looking though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Fells and Dales ponies
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:19:40 pm »
Fells and Dales are lovely riding ponies :love: and no, don't go bonkers if you don't ride them for a while.  Very hardy, of course.  Do need equine company; the herd instinct is very strong, especially if you get one from a fell herd.  (So do check that your chosen pony is happy to hack out on his/her own, if that's what you'll be wanting to do - and happy to be left in the field if you take the other one out ;))

Should be easy enough to find ones in Cumbria / Northumberland.  [member=28803]tweedy hill[/member] (and others on here) breeds Dales, may know of something when you're ready.  Both breed socs keep good sales lists on their websites, both usually have a few riding ponies for sale.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:50:40 am »

hacking alone will be the pony's primary job. As yet the Exmoor is 'only' a professional companion pony. I may try and pop into the FPS show on the 6th on my way down to Wales.

An idea of budget would be great-as it stands its not brilliant as have put some money into existing horse who may be a tricky sell. Don't mind mare or gelding although slight preference for a gelding, age anything from 6-15 (again, not set in stone but must be out hacking alone and good in farm traffic). Not show quality but I do like a nice head.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 03:42:10 pm »
it doesn't look like tweedy hill has been active in a couple of years-do they have a website?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 10:52:03 pm »
it doesn't look like tweedy hill has been active in a couple of years-do they have a website?

They do. http://websternigel.wixsite.com/tweedy-hill-farm
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 04:58:04 pm »
Some of the Fell lines can be quite sharp for a native, generally they're very good hacks tho, and prices are pretty rock bottom at the sales, some people fill a lorry with them and bring on to sell but they won't have much mileage out solo so watch yourself on that front!

While I've bred Highlands for 27 years and would always recommend consideration of that breed included aswell as Fells and Dales, the prices are a lot higher for a ridden pony so you're probably on the right track as you are.  And for all my involvement with Highlands, I do still love a good Dales pony as I grew up with some and they're superb hacks, very sure footed and have a cracking mile-eating trot, less bouncy than Welsh but very active and smooth, definitely worth a look.  Personally I'd stay at 14'2 or a little under, rather than the newer bigger types since the DPS removed upper height limits but each to their own. 

Trick with Dales, esp if buying from a breeder, is to start at the ground up and never buy anything unless it has the hardest feet, flattest bone and best knee/hock/stifle possible.  Never start with a pretty head or you'll find you aren't taken seriously in some quarters..  Things have changed and there are a lot more generic M&M types in these breeds now, but the price tags will rise accordingly.  Breed Show is worth a visit, near Barnard Castle in Co Durham in July usually.

Edit to add DPS summer show at Streatlam by Barnard Castle on 5 August, might be worth a visit!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:11:26 pm by ellied »
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 09:50:49 pm »
thank you ellied. I have Highlands and Haffies under consideration but I have some experience of those-I have very little with Fells and Dales, hence the research! Highlands at the standard of education that I'd prefer will be out of budget (and I'm not sure what the budget would be but no more than £3k on a good day and realistically, more like £2k).14-14.2h is perfect-I am not that tall but am relatively long in the torso for a smaller pony.

I have some Fells to visit for research purposes-not so many Dales about it seems. Afraid the DPS show might be too difficult, am travelling to Wales the next day so FPS in Penrith might be doable.I don't mind riding something with a bit of something about it but my days of riding young bull fighting bred horses are over.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:31:38 pm »
Bill Ireland might have something but probably mostly youngstock or at least unbacked.  Kilmannan is by Strathblane just north of Glasgow and he'd probably be happy to show you around and talk you through the breed in Scotland.  I've not seen him for several years but he was very involved in NPS and promotion of the breed, worth an email anyway.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 07:42:16 am »
We keep Dales up in Aberdeenshire. They are amazing ponies, excellent for riding and driving. Essie Croft Dales ponies are where ours are from.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 12:38:31 pm »
thanks all-a brief update. while I love the look of the Dales, there are precious few ridden and for sale. I will not go back to another green horse-just not going to happen. The one I did find I  was less keen on than some of the Fells I've seen. There are two Fells that I am very interested in and hope to see in the next few weeks (neither are on the open market) and I am going to the FPS show this sunday.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:04:28 pm by lord flynn »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 02:17:20 pm »
quick update-bought a lovely, 9yo Fell gelding who arrived last week  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 10:03:43 pm »
Brilliant :thumbsup:

We shall, of course, require pictures :eyelashes:  :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 08:16:46 pm »
Beautiful : :hughorse: :love: :horse:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS