Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home made fertilisers  (Read 3979 times)

Scallywag

• Joined Apr 2017
  • Retford
Home made fertilisers
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:41:27 pm »
Managed to make my first brews of both nettle and comfrey liquid fertilisers and they seem to be working well.

Just wondering if there are any other common plants that can give me such good results ?

Ideas on a postcard etc etc .................... for the older ones who remember the early days of Blue Peter !!

Scallywag
Be careful what you scratch if you've been chopping chillies

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Home made fertilisers
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:04:19 pm »
Add in some fresh goat manure (probably sheep or horse works just as well).

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 01:15:07 am »
I'm wondering about really deep-rooted plants such as agricultural lupin and docks, where both the (crushed) roots and tops are nutritious.  I've not tried them as a liquid feed, as I tend to stick with comfrey and nettle, plus sheep muck.  We had left a barrow with a little muck left in the bottom, standing out in torrential rain.  By draining the water off, we found we had an excellent sheep muck tea which worked wonders on the veg.  We let it get rained on then used 3 or 4 times before it gave out  :poo:   Manure though provides different nutrients to plant-based foods.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 07:14:41 am »
I have found diluted whey (created naturally whenever milk goes off sufficiently to separate into curds and) is a great plant food

Scallywag

• Joined Apr 2017
  • Retford
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 08:50:59 am »
Since posting, I've gone on to read more and a few people have reported using dock and dandelions for liquid fertilisers. Indeed I've read a few online articles about people who use any green garden waste for fertiliser.

Also read about using grass clippings and people reporting good success even after a few days of "soaking"

Using whey is a new and interesting idea for me. this is going to have to be my next line of research.

thanks for the comments everyone !!
Scallywag

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:59:57 am »
Interesting this topic was on Gardennes QT, Bob Flower dew had been experimenting and found burdock a good feed like nettle and comfrey.

Scallywag

• Joined Apr 2017
  • Retford
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:10:27 pm »
Maybe we should mix the Burdock and the Dandelion ..... sounds like a great idea for a new drink  !!!!!

Just kidding .... :-)

Scallywag

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:45:37 pm »
O/P  next time put your materials ina hessian sack add about  2/3 of the sack with chicken muck mixed with the other ingredients as it has a fairly high percentage of phosphates , nitrogen & other useful micro nutrients  then prep an open top barrel  with a kilo of brown sugar dissolved in a litre of hot water . put the sugar syrup in the barrel add cold water till it's half full .  Suspend the sack on a wooden batten in the sugared solution , top up the barrel so the neck of the sack is just submerged  stirrr around the sack to get it evenly mixed ..
Lift the sack fully up out the liquid at least  twice every fourth day to get the juices in & out the sack.  By day ten it will be ready for using as a liquid feed  unless it's close to freezing . 

Just don't get the liquid on salad stuff that's going to be  eaten fresh or just rinsed off or get it on fleshy fruits like raspberries  or strawberries  or you're likely to get E'coli upsets .

The sugar helps things ferment ,like a good compost heap does.  This releases & also produces all manner of beneficial plant foods .
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:40:02 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Scallywag

• Joined Apr 2017
  • Retford
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 09:27:48 pm »
Sounds like an interesting brew !!
Scallywag

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS