Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 3 point link geometry  (Read 3532 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
3 point link geometry
« on: July 01, 2017, 08:33:20 pm »
Just took delivery of some 3PL pallet forks.  Having finally got them mounted (quite a while later due to under-sized top-link holes which needed filing-out!), I now realize my 3PL set-up dips implements downwards at the back-end when lifting: it hadn't registered with me before with other implements, but as I raised the level forks off the ground, the fork ends dipped down - obviously not good when it comes carrying stuff on pallet forks!!!  The ends should tip up surely as the 3PL is raised!?

So I'm now back at home pondering: a couple of youtube vid's later, showing forks tipping upwards at the rear end as the 3PL is raised, I'm scratching my head.  And then I started thinking about top-link fixing point:  I attach pic of my tractor's top-link set-up and I have 2 other pairs of holes below the existing (as it came) upper top-link fixing point.  I've been wondering what they are for and now I'm wondering whether I should be using either of these fixing points instead of the top-hole.  The middle-holes position actually has an extra pin already installed for whatever reason - it is also set-back (vertically) relative to the upper and lower pin positions - for a reason that is beyond my ken.   

Obviously I shall be experimenting when I can next get back up to the fields, but any words of wisdom ref my 3PL conundrum please? 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:52:46 pm by arobwk »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: 3 point link geometry
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 08:57:29 pm »
You have answered your own question, use one of the other holes.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:26:40 pm »
You have answered your own question, use one of the other holes.

I have now!  "A picture paints a thousand words" so I drew a diagram.  I can see now that the best top-link connection point, on the tractor, depends on the height of the implement's top-link connection point (relative to).  As you say, I'll use one of the other holes - and thanks. 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:31:25 pm by arobwk »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 06:30:05 pm »
Experiment on the other 2 holes and keep your top link as short as possible  when level ready to pick up ,  I see you can also lengthen or shorten both of your lift arms this can also have an effect

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:15:37 pm »
Experiment on the other 2 holes and keep your top link as short as possible  when level ready to pick up ,  I see you can also lengthen or shorten both of your lift arms this can also have an effect

Thanks shep53.  As you will see from diagram I just posted, I am starting to get an inkling about this stuff (with no help from manuals or the web as regards the finer details of 3PL geometry and settings).  Thanks for reminder about lift-link adjustments as well - I often forget about that.  That said, I discovered recently (during a bit of deep cleaning & regreasing) that one of the lift-links binds "solid" part-way along it's threaded length and I'm presently letting a good dose of WD40 do it's magic, hopefully!.  I'm thinking though, worst case, that the 3PL has maybe suffered from a shunt at some time and the threaded part of said lift-link is bent, but hopefully that is not the case! 

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 08:18:00 pm »
Now that I've had a proper look, I find the 3rd set of holes (the lowest) are NOT top-link holes at all, so I only have 2 Cat 1 top link positions on the tractor.  But I'm not complaining because, as tested, the 2nd (lower) top link position works much better with both box-blade and tipping link box for my purposes.  (Obviously intended to test the forks as well, but just too tired at end of past couple of days work to be bothered - so fingers still crossed on that one.) 
The 3rd (lowest) set of holes remain a mystery: measurement/closer inspection says they are circa 25mm diameter, but they won't accept a Cat 1/Cat2 converter sleeve (that I had to hand).  And there is no way that any sort of pin could be inserted due to the config' of adjustable tow-hitch frame.  I think they are just useless holes - in an idle moment I might ask Agromehanika why they bother to drill a set of holes that I can fit nothing into!
In passing: binding lift-link still binding on the thread: whether I can live with will depend on the cost of replacement.  OEM offerings are limited so I shall have to seek Agromehanika price for replacement and consider!

Another passing thought:  while 3PL Categories are deemed to be standardized, the only thing that seems to be standard is the size of pins!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:34:44 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 05:05:26 pm »
If it's of any interest/use to anybody:  I mentioned previously that one of my 3PL adjustable lift-links was binding (solid) on its thread.  Now sorted! 
I wound out the lift-link to the binding-point and then copiously dosed its innards with WD40.  Day or so later, no joy.  I was about to give it a vinegar bath a couple of days further on, but gave adjustment another try before-hand.  Oh joy! - with just a little extra mechanical leverage, the lift-link fully un-threaded.  With threads scoured and greased, the offending lift-link is now readily adjustable by hand along the whole thread length.
Faith restored in WD40 magic (other brands available) even if the magic takes several days sometimes! 

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:00:43 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS