Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poultry for the table  (Read 1454 times)

clem20

• Joined Jul 2010
poultry for the table
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:28:07 pm »
Hello,  I  am  planning  to  keep  some  poultry  for  eggs  (when  I  have  finished  converting  a  shed  into  a  coop).  However,  I  would  be  interested  in  raising  some  poultry  for  the  table.  Only  thing  is,  I  know  I  won't  be  able  to  do  the  culling  when  the  time  comes. Is  there  anywhere  poultry  can  be  taken,  culled  and  prepared  for  a  small  fee?  Thanks :-\

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: poultry for the table
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 05:06:11 pm »
sorry to say this if you keep hens you must be willing to cull. the wife did her first today after running one of our red hens over. you will get sick and dying birds.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: poultry for the table
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:47:03 pm »
Or be prepared for vet fees or have someone else who can deal with emergencies ie at short notice.

There will be places locally that will process your birds. We had some of ours done when we were short of time and ahd a few to do. To be honest, we made a better job of them and I think there was less stress on the birds doing them at home.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS