Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: EID Replacement Tags  (Read 2508 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
EID Replacement Tags
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:23:29 am »
Anyone clear on the issue of Replacement tags in sheep?

We have just retagged 6 orphan lambs who all managed to rip their tags outs as we reared them in the poultry garden.

The 2 wethers have been retagged with Red Slaughter Tags, 3 Gimmers we have upgraded to Breeding ewes so they have EID and Visual and the uncastrated Tup we discovered we have also has an EID and a visual as we are going to keep him for a year then sell him as a breeding tup.

The issue I have is the flock number, documentation says they should be tagged with the flock number of birth yet when the order was placed at Richie they had a mismatch between CHP's and Flock numbers and told me they needed to be retagged with the flock number of the holding they are on.

I have crossmatched and recorded all retagging in my register but will this be ok?  The 2 wethers will go direct to Abattoir but I have noticed that a couple of our Texel lambs at foot have lost tags so they will need to be replaced when we pen them up to shear the ewes.  Will they be ok to go to the mart with Red replacements that will have a different flock number to the rest of the batch?

Any advice greatly received, this is our first year with sheep and the tagging requirements still seem to be a grey area.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: EID Replacement Tags
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:38:58 am »
As it's quite a complex question, I would suggest you phone SAMU in Dumfries and get the answer from the horse's mouth.  They are very friendly  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:50:25 am »
Many Thanks Fleecewife, I'll get onto that tomorrow after work. :)

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:54:19 pm »
Agree with the above, Scotland is different to England.

In England it is quite simple - If they are not EID tagged at the holding of Birth, then they cannot (legally) be later upgraded to EID Tags.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS