Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prospective smallholder  (Read 1219 times)

Deer Forager

• Joined Oct 2019
  • Suffolk
Prospective smallholder
« on: October 15, 2019, 03:27:49 pm »
Hi all

I am currently in the process of moving. My family are likely to move up to the Suffolk/Cambs border but even if we don't move areas we will be upsizing our house. This will allow us to have a decent sized garden which we intend to grow a few things in. In addition, I would like to rear the occasional couple of pigs.

I have a particular fondness for OSB and Saddlebacks. I like to make my own sausages which up until this point have been exclusively of the venison variety (muntjac make great sausages). I have dabbled with bacon and biltong and will be making other cured bits and pieces shortly.

I have read a few books about smallholding and keeping livestock but will be looking to tap your experience and nouse.

All the best
DF

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Prospective smallholder
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:35:27 am »
Good for you!

One thought (having done this) - when you are planning for your pigs in a basically domestic setting, think about how you are going to get the finished pigs out. When we had our first smallholding, the pig pen was on the far side of our garden - getting little pigs in was easy. Getting two finished ones from the pen, across the lawn via a Heath Robinson and rather shaky race to the trailer wasn't something to be repeated  ::) ::) ::)

Deer Forager

• Joined Oct 2019
  • Suffolk
Re: Prospective smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 08:15:03 pm »
Thanks. I had considered that. I will definately eye up access for trailers  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS