Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is eating my cherry tree ?  (Read 1909 times)

Kathy Mc

• Joined Aug 2016
What is eating my cherry tree ?
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:05:46 am »
One of my sweet cherry trees is being attacked, first the leaves on the top branches had chunks bitten out of them and now the cherries (little and green, nowhere near ripe) are being taken too. It is about 10 years old and fruits every year and this has never happened before. There are 5 other cherry trees in the orchard which have not been touched (yet !). I'm thinking birds as it is starting at the top and there are no signs of insects, caterpillars or anything else. It's rather large to net but I think I will have to try. Any other ideas please ??

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: What is eating my cherry tree ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:09:10 am »
Definitely birds because I have the same problem nearly every year  - opposite to you so far in the last 5 years I have only had one year where they left it alone.
My tree is huge - 20-25ft and they destroy every bit of it.
I originally thought pigeons but ours is a big tree and I noticed yesterday  that they have come all the way down the tree almost overnight - that would be some very fat pigeons!
Shame because they destroy the tree nearly every year and I love the cherries.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:43:54 am by Q »
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Kathy Mc

• Joined Aug 2016
Re: What is eating my cherry tree ?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:51:01 pm »
Oh dear, I thought as much and caught a pair of crows red handed this morning.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS