Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram lamb butting  (Read 5777 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Ram lamb butting
« on: May 22, 2017, 05:28:44 pm »
Hi all

I have a 2 week old CMM ram lamb who has started butting me when I go on tour sort thier water. What can I do to convince him he doesn't want to do that?

Currently, when he tries it I put my fist where he would butt another sheep and give him a shove. I figure if I don't sort it now he'll grow to be a pain and I was hoping to have a go at showing with him.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ram lamb butting
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:14:08 pm »
You're doing exactly what he wants just like another lamb would . slapping his nose  or a water pistol neither of which is a normal sparing  should work , I know you want him friendly but keep hands away from his head and stop any butting /shoving immediately  , You are no1 sheep in his flock

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:43:57 pm »
Try putting your hands, palms flattened, about 8cm each side of his eyes and moving them up and down quickly, a bit like drying your hair.  Having different vision from us it often scares them off.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:45:45 pm »
I agree with shep53, definitely no head contact, (or cuddles) even if you plan to show him it is better if a ram isn't too tame.  He still needs to respect you and keep his distance.  I know it's hard when he is your first born, but otherwise you will regret it later.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:57:33 pm »
Thanks guys.

We've purposefully avoided contact as we didn't want him too comfortable around us but I just wasn't sure how to respond to him butting me.

I'll try the arm waving and nose slapping. Fingers crossed they work.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:31 pm »
I think your overhandling him, overhandled rams can be challenging as they have no respect for you.. The game is head butting and your engaging with him by offering your fist. If he does it I'd shoo him away, or a light slap on the nose.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 09:18:59 pm »
I think your overhandling him, overhandled rams can be challenging as they have no respect for you.. The game is head butting and your engaging with him by offering your fist. If he does it I'd shoo him away, or a light slap on the nose.

I thought that too- is he still in (you say about doing water buckets)... put him out with his mother and leave him grow up. My lambs come to call with their mothers but you haven't a hope in hell chance of catching one in the field, they have a healthy respect for me and personal space.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 11:17:28 pm »
They are out in the field and I haven't handled him since we turned him and mum out at day 5 (we had a cold snap and I was an anxious first lamber). We don't have a water trough though so every couple of days I refresh the water bucket (our crows make a mess of it). I butted him back today but that was the first time I've had contact with him since he went out, I just didn't know what to do in response to him butting me.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 08:02:25 am »
Just out of interest is it normal for a ram lamb of that age to make contact with you in that way?

Ours would never come anywhere near once out in the field with their mum's. They have no interest in us at all really.

Maybe Soay are different. ???

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 10:01:47 am »
I may just have an abnormal lamb.

His mum only comes over if she thinks we might have food, same with the other ewe outhe with them and the other two lambs (ewe lambs) don't come near at all.

He was butting the second ewe when she was turned out with her lambs and he was about 5 days old...

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:37 am »
Always try to make yourself look big - carrying a big stick helps.  Run after him waving your stick and shouting, so he becomes scared of you.  A shove directed at the shoulder too will help.  Nip it in the bud or else you'll have problems. :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:23:19 am »
Sounds like he needs to be castrated.  That sort of butting of a person from such a small lamb isn't something I've ever seen, just little play butts between lambs.  Aggression is an hereditary trait to a large extent, so you wouldn't want to be breeding from him anyway.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 10:41:39 am »
Sounds like he needs to be castrated.  That sort of butting of a person from such a small lamb isn't something I've ever seen, just little play butts between lambs.  Aggression is an hereditary trait to a large extent, so you wouldn't want to be breeding from him anyway.

I was thinking on these lines too. Lambs who have been bottle fed even just a top up can be a pain looking for a bottle but this doesn't sound like that sort of attention. He is only going to get bigger and stronger and you have a little one to think about.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 10:54:28 am »
Mmmmm that's what I was thinking but don't have enough experience of many lambings or different breeds to know if it's normal for some.

Perhaps he isn't one to leave as a tup, especially with a toddler around?

Next week or two will perhaps show if it is just a growing phase or a pattern that could get worse.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:23 am »
Two strikes and nuts off, Dans.  Don't take risks with a wee one about.  (He may still be pushy even when castrated, of course.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS