Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Living accommodation in shed  (Read 4522 times)

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
Living accommodation in shed
« on: May 21, 2017, 08:39:15 pm »
Hi all, I was looking into building a new steel frame workshop storage building. I was thinking of the possibility of having an upper floor in half the shed . In this upper floor I was thinking of having a living area for lunch/tea breaks and also sofa and wood burner. I wasn't planning on having any outside faceing windows so wouldn't be visible from outside. Has anyone ever built something like this before?
JR

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Living accommodation in shed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 09:16:59 pm »
probably but I wouldn't advertise the fact , the wood burner wont help with keeping a low profile, didn't for me a freind  ;)  do you intend to live there ?  if just a "tea room" I wouldn't think it a problem

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 04:52:59 am »
Yeh it would be basically a comfortable tea room where we could sit somewhere warm and get out the rain for a few hours. I could live in it quiet happily but I don't think the rest of our household would ha ha.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:00:20 am »
You might want to consider a less obvious heating source than a woodburner, something that wouldn't draw attention.  Smoke rising from an apparently agricultural or workshop building might result in visits from the fire brigade let alone planning..

A calor gas fire, space heater or something might be easier and also support the 'temporary' nature of your use.  Woodburners do suggest permamence of use and a more domestic flavour - unless you're in a woodcrafting workshop or timber supplier where it is obviously just a practicality!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:15:03 am »
Agree could be a real fire hazard especially if you have hay and straw in building.
Council will certainly have a look if its spotted or reported.

I had a enforcement notice served over various issues and i appeled.
Building mothers kidded in was heated by wood/smokeless burner in separate  building.
It heated kidding area and day room via radiators.
Council made a song and dance about it planning inspector said it was acceptable.

Only issue is if council think you intend to live there and keep a eye open
But then again if its a welfare emergency or ill animal you can stay overnight

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:21:48 am by mart6 »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 11:18:24 am »
Mr F built an agricultural shed with an upper floor (with full planners approval).  However, it's used for storage and he also intends to have his train set up there  :o :yuck: .  He hasn't built the stairs yet so it's only accessible by ladder, and as I hate ladders I don't go up there.  We do though have a 'tea corner' in the main part of the building.  There are chairs, a kettle, water and biccies etc, plus a heater - one of those Dyson oval ones which can blast out the heat. Also a dehumidifier, as the steel walls, although they're lined with wood, nonetheless collect moisture. There are double glazed windows to keep the place from freezing in winter, and grass outside to the south so we can sit outside for our tea when it's warm.
We did consider a wood burning stove, but we decided that it was too much of a fire hazard (with agric vehicles and fleece stored there), plus by the time we'd got it heated up we would have finished whatever we were doing there.

I think you will fall foul as you are calling it living accommodation, rather than a rest area. For us, our house is only about 100yds from the building, so we only use it for tea when we're too lazy or too busy to trot down to the kitchen.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:22:29 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 12:08:22 pm »
I would change your subject heading and keep idea to yourself ..... who knows where the planning bods lurk looking for unsuspecting victims!  :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:55:57 pm »
I would change your subject heading and keep idea to yourself ..... who knows where the planning bods lurk looking for unsuspecting victims!  :innocent:

Agreed. Surely it's a "rest room"  :innocent:
I would just go for it. The planners won't know so long as you keep it low key, and even if they do then it's hardly a hanging offence and may not even require their consent if you phrase things/argue correctly.
I don't see why a log burner should cause any sort of issue either. They are a fairly common feature in workshops.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 03:29:41 pm »
I've been to a number of tests and trials where exactly that is in place.  The one I remember best at Qest Linton, is a large agri barn, one section for storage and for machinery/tractors. And the other section consists of a toilet, and a large living area with a woodburner at one end, and comfy chairs and a settee; there's a large wooden table and dining chairs in the middle and a kitchen at the end nearest the toilet.
Excellent for recovery on wet days after a shoot.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 10:09:41 am »
We use a caravan burn it went through planning when we put polytunnels up ans the parish clerk reported us. I think that they were so concerned with thetunnels that they didn't notice they were sat in the caravan discussing it

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 10:07:02 pm »
Who hasnt got a woodburner and a mezanine in the top of their shed with a kettle and a sofa ;)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 10:07:43 pm »
you dont have to take your boots off at lambing time - just crash :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS