Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducklings -food and water at night  (Read 7173 times)

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
Ducklings -food and water at night
« on: May 15, 2017, 07:23:04 pm »
Hi, I have runner ducklings -can anyone tell me:

Do ducks always need access to water in their house at night, or if not, until what age do they need it?
What age do ducklings stop needing to have food available at night?

Thanks!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Ducklings -food and water at night
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:22:59 pm »
I've raised only Khaki Campbells and Aylesburys but once they were three weeks old and hardened off from their infra red lamp they were locked in at dusk (10 p.m. here in midsummer) away from their water and feed and let out at 6.00 a.m.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:04:02 pm »
I have runners too. The ducklings will stay indoors for at least 4 weeks, depending on how well they grow and feather etc. Once their out during the day with free access to water  I'd start taking their water away at night

I always used to give them water at night but they make such a mess and it seems to attract a lot of midgies into the bedding

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:10:12 pm »
mine all have water and food in their shed all the time. They get an old supplement bucket which they can drink out of but is too small for them to get in (adults). the handle is hooked to a hook in the wall. Ducklings get a no spill dog water bowl-food in a shallow tray.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 06:08:53 pm »
Mine are raised under a broody duck so go to bed with her from day 1 and don't have food or water overnight. Never seemed to bother them.

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:44:37 pm »
Thanks for your replies folks, that's helpful

Lesley

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS