Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Patty Pan Squash  (Read 2311 times)

Oaklea Nurseries

• Joined May 2017
Patty Pan Squash
« on: May 09, 2017, 02:09:48 pm »
Has anyone had any experience growing Patty Pans?
If so any hint or tips?
We looking to plant some into soil from seed (not sure if this is a good idea) in our greenhouse.
First time any useful tips would be grateful.
Thanks

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Patty Pan Squash
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:17:19 pm »
I grow them outdoors - start them off in pots in the greenhouse then plant out when risk of frost has gone. The plants do get quite big and ramble a bit so might not be good in the greenhouse. Harvest regularly or you will end up with things the size of small flying saucers!  :roflanim:

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 06:37:36 pm »
I germinate them in heated propagators in individual 11 cm pots. Transfer to greenhouse once germinated and plant outside early June. Wouldn't want them indoors really as they grow reasonably large and are prone to mildew.
I find they are slower to fruit than courgette but add variaty to my veg boxes so worth a slightly smaller yield.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:39:02 am »
I grew them one year but frankly didn't care enough for the things to bother again and since it's just for ourselves I stick to simple green cougettes.
I've simplified most of my veggie growing to save effort or I ended up with heaps of stuff I was throwing away 'cos we just couldn't eat it all and i have no passing trade in my backwater.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 03:54:02 pm »
Has anyone had any experience growing Patty Pans?
If so any hint or tips?
We looking to plant some into soil from seed (not sure if this is a good idea) in our greenhouse.
First time any useful tips would be grateful.
Thanks

I grew some similar to pattypans, I can't remember the name but essentially they were. Very easy to grow and grow them just like normal squash, plenty of rich soil and water. Also the fruits tend to come thick and fast, so its a case of every week or so in the height of the season... The squash is sweet and takes very little cooking time. Hope this helps! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS