Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Parts for MF 732 fingerbar mower?  (Read 4550 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Parts for MF 732 fingerbar mower?
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:19:36 pm »
I don't suppose anyone knows of a supplier of parts for a Massey Ferguson 732 mower?  I need to replace the head with the bolt and nut on it that the knife attaches to, as the knife worked itself loose and flattened half the thread on both bolt and nut as it came off - now the nut won't spin onto the bolt true, it skips the thread.  It's currently been jammed on with a wrench and is holding fine, but the next time I need to take the knife off to sharpen it, I'm knackered.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Parts for MF 732 fingerbar mower?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 04:44:07 pm »
Your local mf dealer

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 07:37:12 pm »
Wow, can they still get them for machinery that old?  Thanks, I'll try them - nearest one is about 100 miles away, unless I want to catch the ferry over to Orkney!

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 06:45:04 am »
I'm not exactly sure of the part you are describing but certainly you can still buy blades. Many parts come from a standard stock bin ie they have been used on other machines since, so may still be available.  After that you are onto 2nd hand dealers and breakers,  or there is a place called west lake plough spares which may be able to help.  After that it's suprising what turns up on eBay.even if you buy a complete scrap machine.

Can you post a picture of the bit ?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:19:29 am »
This sounds like you're describing a stud on the 'head' that a nut threads onto (as opposed to a threaded hole a bolt goes into)??? If so it's likely that you could remove that stud and replace it rather than changing the whole 'head'.  If you're not into the various techniques for removing a stud then your local agri engineer is the first place to call - they'd likely find it very easy to do.
Simplest technique is two nuts tightened against each other and then a goodly wrench on the lower one.. but you'ld likely need some heat to loosen an old stud.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 01:33:42 pm »
Wise words..your local agri engineer ...it's amazing what they can do...they'll also know where to find bits.   Hard part is finding your local agri engineer...the good ones don't need to advertise because they are always in demand in the farming community.......ask any farmers you know for recommendations.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 08:56:11 pm »
My local one is on the main road into town - so dead easy.. but local papers or just ask down t'pub. Where i am t'pub is focus for all such info or i an emergency the local shop <g>

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 06:09:15 am »
Fortunately a friend's son is one and has gone full-time recently - he's going to have a look at the tractor clutch one evening this week, so I'll ask him while he's here :) 

pgkevet, that sounds right, but the 'stud' appears to be one cast part with the rest of the head, not removable, while just below the head it screws into the arm the PTO drives, hence thinking I'll probably need to replace the whole bit.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 04:34:18 pm »
It's unlikely to be a cast stud...the problems of allowing for shrinkage in the casting, the greater brittleness of cast material.. it'd need to be turned down and threaded. It's a lot easier to cast a guide mark that gets opened up by drill and tapped and have the stud separate. if it was cast as one then there'd have to be a fillet in the casting around the stud base or turned down to a good shoulder to have any chance of avoiding failure.
If it was cast as one (unlikely) then cutting it off and drilling/tapping for a stud should be easy enough. Cast usually machines very nicely

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS