Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It's been a while since I owned a half-decent camera  (Read 3241 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
It's been a while since I owned a half-decent camera
« on: April 29, 2017, 09:22:00 am »
..my daughter 'borrowed' my last one for her business and it's been a few years since I had better than a cheap camera phone.
So here we go with some happy spring piccies:

This years early purple orchids..

Chaos the barn cat:

Chickens are evil:

Sometimes black and white works best:

Apple blossom:

Twiglet. Always comes up for a rub behind the ears or a kiss:

Rambo:

These canada geese stayed for a couple fo days last year and i guess its the same pair stopping by en route this year:

Last for the moment... my guard dog lulling potential intruders in a false sense of security...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: It's been a while since I owned a half-decent camera
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:26:17 pm »
So which camera did you get?  The pics are very clear and well framed.  Have fun  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:42:20 pm »
Great pics and some lovely subjects, Chaos the cat and Twiglet in particular. I've got one of those guard dogs too. Here he is, snoring loudly while on high alert:-
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:46:58 pm by Oopsiboughtasheep »
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:46:35 pm »
So which camera did you get?  The pics are very clear and well framed.  Have fun  :thumbsup:

I wasn't going to say 'cos i was expensive. It's the size of sensor and quality of glass that makes a camera. I used to have a canon with some pricey L quality lenses but it is a bit of a pain carryong all the kit about. This is the sony bridge camera rx10m3. It'll take some time to get the hang of all the fancy things it can do but these pics were more or less point and click. Scarey that all  these would probably print out clear at A2 or perhaps even bigger

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:50:01 pm »
Ah! A dalmation dreaming of the next snack and sleeping with ears open for the biscuit tin..

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 09:18:00 pm »
Fortunately I wasn't drinking a scalding cup of coffee there  :o   Brilliant camera, you'll have loads of fun with that.  We'll be expecting plenty more high quality pics to entertain us  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 05:53:48 pm »
Telephoto from the top of 'fiona field'

My overgrown quarry

You can see why the strata were good for building stone but it's halfway up the hil.. still when it was a case of hewing it by hand and carting it manually (perhaps with a horse) then at least there was gravity for the first bit..

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 06:12:13 pm »
What is the new camera?   Lovely photos
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 08:39:22 pm »
As I replied to fleecewife.. no cheap. A sony rx10m3.
It'll take me a while to figure out it's features amd find some online storage so people can see the full quality of pics. A high res they're huge and even a 46" screen doesn't do some of them justice. Youtube degraded the practice video I took compared to it's direct playback but next time I'll lug a tripod up there.
Lke many newer cams it can also autostitch panoramas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pwO-bZSkio

This link is to a short vid from the top of fiona field, It too 2.5hrs to upload at rustic speeds!! Turn the volume down to avoid wind noise.

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 10:29:23 pm »
Good stuff. There is nothing as good as looking at really sharp pictures. Now you need the software to keep you occupied on those evenings with nothing to do! A good plug in storage system is best for keeping pictures. You know then where they are not up in the "cloud".

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 12:06:07 pm »
Backups: trust no-one and nothing. The stuff in the clud is only for links here and elsewhere. At home I keep backups on two different machines and either CD or USB stick as well.

I don't have the patience to play much with photo software.. apart perhaps from lifting a portion of a shot or rotating a tad. There are exceptions. I took some long night shots with my previous cam and they did have to be run through noise ninja. You'ld have to be in the professional section of making folk look better than they really are etc to get into airbrushing or amalgamating bits of pics. But I will admit that the pic under growing:fruit of my proto apricots was edge enhanced and brightened to bring them out enough to see clearly 'cos i shot them on a dull day to quickly upload here.

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 06:49:51 pm »
I would agree. Airbrushing and removing stuff is for "artists". I think it is far more skillful to shoot what you see and be happy with it. Cropping can be handy for improving composition and bringing objects forward and removing bits you don't want. Enjoy your pictures.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS