Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 7117 times)

Nithside

• Joined Aug 2016
Advice needed
« on: April 19, 2017, 09:30:51 pm »
Hi all,

I own a 12 acre smallholding in Dumfries an was looking for advice on the best cattle for the smallholding that i really can only put animals out on at the begining of April?

As the ground can sit wet for a long time and can be standing in water from end of October( if a lot of rain falls during that month).  I would need to house the cattle from mid October through to early April.

I am well trained in cattle keeping as the family has been in farming for generations, but this kind of conundrum has got me scratching my head.  I would ideally like to go back into Galloways but weight and price are stopping me:( :(
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:43:21 pm by Nithside »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 12:24:27 pm »
 You say in the sheep section that you want 40 ewes , so that doesn't leave a lot of grass for cattle , if Galloway's are to big then ? shetlands / dexters /kerrys   or a couple of jersey cows and buy extra calfs to multiple suckle or a couple of calves to fatten and kill

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 01:18:52 pm »
Depending on where in Dumfries and what type of ground, 40 ewes might be plenty for 12 acres, without any cattle... (I'm ex a north Cumbria upland farm, where we ran 240 ewes, 35 cows and 4 ponies on 440 acres.  But good Dumfries ground is way better than our rough grazing and upland hay meadow.)

Jerseys like to be in for the winter (even in North Cornwall, we've learned  ::)), while Dexters, Galloways and Highlands are generally less keen ;).  So shep53's suggestion of a couple of Jerseys and rear set-on calves might suit. We used to buy Hereford x calves from a dairy herd to do this, usually buying at £120-£200 depending on age, and selling at £800-£900 at 13-15 months-ish.  With a cooperative cow, you could rear her own plus three or even four set-ons per lactation.  (Or more, I'm told, but I think 5 in one lactation was the most I did.  I didn't push the girls hard, and liked to get calves to 5 months or thereabouts before weaning.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nithside

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 07:15:48 pm »
I'm in the Auldgirth area north of Dumfries but we are prone to the odd flood if the weather is too wet over winter so the cows would be in over winter no matter what breed they are.  My goal of 40 ewes is with out cows but I do have a deal with the neighbour where they get a new loose box over winter for their heifers in return for the further 10 acres of riverbank grazing for summer so running 40 ewes all year would be possible with cows, as I also have 6.5 acres I get free of charge for taking the bales for my own use, as the owner doesn't want any stock on the ground at all.

I have been looking at the Dexters and Jerseys as i want quiet cattle for the sake of 5 young children.  We have had a Shetland cow in th epast which my dad had bought as the house cow but while she was in with the ewes she would charge at them and the kids love to help with the sheep and one day she went for me and the kids so I ended up getting rid of her on health and safety grounds more for the kids than my own safety.

Sam

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:02:17 pm »
Got Dexters and Shetlands here .... Shetlands are definitely more docile.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:38:26 pm »
I have been looking at the Dexters and Jerseys as i want quiet cattle for the sake of 5 young children.  We have had a Shetland cow in th epast which my dad had bought as the house cow but while she was in with the ewes she would charge at them and the kids love to help with the sheep and one day she went for me and the kids so I ended up getting rid of her on health and safety grounds more for the kids than my own safety.

I suspect that your shetland cow was lonely without other bovine company.

Nithside

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 08:47:58 pm »
It might just of been the one off that we got one that wasn't docile but we had a blood line in the Galloway herd that we had that the whole blood line was hostile but that was culled out on my command even though at the time I was just a farm worker on the family farm.  I am looking for very docile cattle that my kids can be around and help with when I am around they know that they dont do anything with the sheep when I'm not around but they do love to help and have asked when are we getting cows for the past 3 years so I thought it might be time to "bite the bullet" as they say  ;D

I forgot to put that she wasn't on her own and had company with her, she had another heifer but it was so badly bulied by the older one she wouldnt come near to get fed even out in the field or in the winter when I shut her in a pen next to the older one.  Should of kept a hold of the young heifer and bought another heifer in that was the same age but the funny thing was they were both from the same herd so can't understand the reaction of the older cow.

Sam
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:04:32 pm by Nithside »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 11:11:12 pm »
Jerseys not Dexters then.  Got Dexters here, and they're pretty tame (and very gently / lovingly treated) but they're suckler / beef cows and the Jerseys are dairy cows, and that makes an enormous difference. 

If you do get Dexters, get ones from a herd that's milked, and ask to spend time with them milking their herd so you can see their behaviour at first hand.

I'd still go for Jerseys.  ;).
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nithside

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 02:11:21 am »
Does any one have experience with Jerseys as I havent heard alot about their nature, but I am interested in looking at the Jersey for the milk side of things but would also like to produce meat as well so im inclined to swing to the Dexter for being a dual purpose breed.

My heart keeps telling me to go back to what I know in the way of cattle but my head is saying go for something lighter and smaller.  Boy do I hate wanting to back into cattle, but I have a foned love of halter training young stock and watching them grow through out the year, it must be the overwhelming sense of accomplishment that it brings and the warm feeling of working with something not near as back braking as sheep.

Sam

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 08:10:50 am »
My Hillie is a gentle, biddable creature (though has a mind of her own and excellent communication skills :)) and I can completely trust her with children.  Her first daughter Plenty was the sweetest creature you could ever meet.  Her second daughter Katy is an oaf, no malice but a clumsy clutz and I would not be comfortable with small children around her in case of accident.  (Hillie and Plenty both seem good at proprioception, I'm not sure Katy knows where her arse is half the time.).

None of my Jerseys would ever kick unless under severe duress.  And probably not even then, except maybe Katy.

Using a good beef bull, one that's known for producing good calves off dairy cows, you'll get a very decent beef animal from a Jersey.  And your Jerseys will stand for AI, which might be less feasible with Dexters unless you have a crush.  So you can use a very good bull for under £20, and no risk of bringing disease on, etc.  We used to use the local AI guy that did the local dairy herds, so he had bulls that were good for that purpose.

The Jersey has a particularly spacious pelvis, so is able to birth a larger calf than any other breed ;).  I always put them to Jersey or Angus first time, to give them an easy first time, and then anything I want after that.  Plenty had two spectacular calves to our own Angus bull, one was even good enough to be entered in the Native Breeds class at our local mart.  And we had four very nice offspring using North Devon (Red Ruby), which I think is my favourite.  Yes the backside isn't as full as it would be from a full-on beef animal, but the Jersey has a bigger frame than a Dexter, so I would think the meat returned from a Jersey x beef is greater than from a full grown Dexter.  (I'm sure it is, from the size and shape of the animals, but don't have deadweights for both to compare.).  I've also used British Blue, which a lot of people do - they grow well on Jersey milk.  And I've heard of people using Charolais too.  Our neighbour, who used to have a prize-winning dairy herd of Jerseys and Guernseys (and of whose favourite cow Hillie is a descendent) used a Murray Grey bull.

And Jersey meat tastes awesome.  Knocks Dexter into a cocked hat.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 08:44:30 am »
Some figures for you:

Dexters weigh up to 350kgs on the hoof, according to the Society web page.  Jerseys are probably more likely 400-450kgs.

Plenty's daughter Cherry, a Red Devon cross, went off fat (from grass) at 560kgs liveweight.

Plenty's pure Jersey daughter Kitty was 193kgs deadweight at 29 months.  (Off grass.) I think I got just short of 120kgs actual meat back.

Dexter Soc webpage puts carcase weight of 24 month steer at 145 – 220 Kgs, and says killing out percentage can be as high as 56%. 

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:53:03 am by SallyintNorth »

Nithside

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 10:13:06 am »
I have to admit I like the look of the Jersey but the other half prefers the Dexter, the thing is we are looking for a dual purpose not either or and I wont go back to shetland after the last experience for kids safety over mine.  I like to encourage the kids to help with the farm as it stops them sitting in front of the TV or on their tablets all day not getting exercise and fresh air :thumbsup:

Sam

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 12:21:05 pm »
I'll be blunt.  If children's safety is an issue, source your Dexters with great care.  They are not known for their docility.

Nithside

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 04:49:40 pm »
The other option I have thought about is the Whitebred Shorthorn, I have worked with them in the past and they are very docile but then I am going back to bigger cattle again.  What are the Jerseys like with kids?  I know what whitebred shorthorns are like as two of my kids were born before we gave up the family farm and the whitebred shorthorns loved being near the kids and even the oldest cow we had tried to bath one of them.

sam

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 05:47:49 pm »
An interesting post, I read with interest about your Jersey's SIN and note that you have a friend with Jersey's and Guernseys. We are trying to source a Guernsey girl as a future house cow but am finding it very hard to source as we are up in Cumbria in your old neck of the woods  :wave: . We don't mind new born calf up to middle age cow with experience or anything in between, do you still have a contact number for your neighbour? and would you be willing to message me with his details?

Sorry to be really cheeky and highjack the post but needs must  :innocent:
Thank you
So many ideas, not enough hours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS