Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: £5 bare roots - grab 'em now!  (Read 7380 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: £5 bare roots - grab 'em now!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 04:08:40 pm »
Plant out in a well prepared hole and water in well, they'll soon establish.  :thumbsup:

If they are destined for planting out anyway the only real benefit to having them in a pot in the interim is so they can be moved.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 06:41:25 pm »
Dry roots may have set them back. I'd photograph this and send a complaint to Suttons as tree roots shouldn't be allowed to dry out, even in Winter. If they don't thrive you can then perhaps ask for a refund. Dunk roots in water and leave for a few hours before planting put in the ground, with a stake or cane for support (depending on the size).

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 08:42:43 pm »
Thanks, perhaps I should have taken the photo as soon as I saw them, but they were in water literally seconds within unwrapping, i was outside when delivered so opened them next to shed.
My thoughts on potting first was so they could go in a cool place so roots could get going before leaves started calling for moisture? And make sure they stayed damp until autumn, plant out then?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 06:39:29 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday, also dry. The medlar is in leaf!
Planning to train as fans or espaliers, that involves a brutal branch prune to get started, correct? In which case I don't need to worry about not having enough roots yet to support topgrowth?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 11:35:57 am »
I wouldn't rush into pruning before they're established. Espaliers are a longer term venture anyway.

My trees are still in transit so i hate to thing what state they'll be in on arrival..bound to need penty of water and mulch and prayer.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 06:26:01 pm »
I emailed Suttons, they said they had been in cold storage and would be still dormant, i should soak overnight, plant out and water every other day, they would start leafing up in about 6 wks. Beneficial to add fish blood bone to planting hole.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 09:28:38 pm »
I finally got a reply to chasing up my non-delivered trees..apparently returned to suttons (dead) and refunded. No note left here re delivery and there's almost always at least one of us near the house.
A shame i fancied those at that price.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 12:49:48 am »
They certainly looked dead, but i wonder who decided and sent them back? Mine have now started to leaf up,  less than the 6 weeks, so i hope the roots can keep up. This heatwave may be bad news for them.
Had an email the quince is unavailable till autumn.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 12:45:43 pm »
They've got good deals on citrus plants - Don't know whether to risk it.

Anyone got them to grow and produce fruit in Central scotland - barring this week which is mediterranean just now  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 12:57:02 pm »
Oooo tempting...

Mine are all starting to grow leaves  ;D

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 02:47:54 pm »
They've got good deals on citrus plants - Don't know whether to risk it.

Anyone got them to grow and produce fruit in Central scotland - barring this week which is mediterranean just now  :excited:

No reason why not. Lemon best to start with since they happily flower with fruit on. Obviously need to keep them frost free (they can take a mild frost) but unhappiest when kept overheated/too dry atmosphere when indoors in winter-- a frost free greenhouse is better than really heating one. Biggest problem is when they end up in pots too heavy to move easily. I;ve had a problem with the lemon getting a fungus the last few winters..controlled with diy bordeaux but foolshly waited until it got it rather than preventative spraying (will this year) and lost the developing fruits. Currantly budded up to flower.... the scent is superb when they do. I was getting about 20 lemons a year.

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 12:04:41 pm »
Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago - they had plastic bags and compost round the roots - I guess it varies with variety.  The Braeburn and the Buerre Hardy pear are doing very well ... the Issac Newton has a few leaves coming whilst i'm not sure the mirrabelle will make it  (the quince was out of stock and will be delivered in october)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 09:32:38 am »
The little apple stub is covered in flower buds! I think I'll leave them for the bees but not let any fruit form.
Or, maybe let one form, for a taste test...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 11:59:19 am »
Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago - they had plastic bags and compost round the roots - I guess it varies with variety.  The Braeburn and the Buerre Hardy pear are doing very well ... the Issac Newton has a few leaves coming whilst i'm not sure the mirrabelle will make it  (the quince was out of stock and will be delivered in october)
I got the pear and mirabelle as well, plastic bag round roots but no compost, dry as a bone. Now almost in full leaf.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS