Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First swallow arrived today  (Read 8049 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: First swallow arrived today
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 11:33:02 am »
The eternal return. Crackling fires to look forward to

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 12:02:49 pm »
We have three quite fluffy fledglings left, I think the rest have all set off on their long journey south. Considering how dark and wet it is here, I think I might join them!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 05:40:01 pm »
One nest of housemartins left here.  They are getting attention from a sparrowhawk every evening so I do not fancy their chances once they leave home.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 12:01:40 am »
It's quite early for swallows to leave isn't it?  Ours usually go around the middle of the month. They must be taking advantage of the Northerlies we've been having.
Ours have gone now too, except the newly fledged 4, and possibly their parents, which have all been zapping around madly in the stormy weather today.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 01:44:45 pm »
Well  I am still enjoying my little family. Third brood now look ready to fledge - and then I shall sadly shut the barn door for another winter. Is it right the adults fly off first? How do these tiny little birds do what they do! It is rather humbling isnt it.The  wrens seem to cram into the emptied nests in the cold of the winter ( did not know they did that) but there are gaps above the door where they can get in an out. .i will miss the swallows but have written this years arrival date in the diary since as a newcomet to this dont know yet whether their arrival is early or late.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 02:34:34 pm »
Ours are still here, I wondered after seeing the leaving posts, but all in barn last night.
In some respects it will be nice to have the barn to myself again, if I put the big light on they start flying about, so have to cope with a string of LED lights over the feed area, and a smaller strip light over the goats so we don't light the top of roof space.
But will be sad to see them go.
Only 2 broods here, but happy with that. 2nd brood a bit earlier than last year, so not just as worried about THAT journey.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 06:53:11 pm »
A most amazing thing this afternoon upon my return from work, I walked out to the pigs to feed them , going through the trees and into the clearing , I walked into a whirlwind of swallows ,its a sheltered spot and always rich with insects popular with our visitors , but there were certainly many times more birds than we normally have, strange thing there was not a peep out of them , got brushed against a few times, just an amazing and thrilling sight , I presume these are just passing through, the remaining fledglings are feeding in the yard, cheered me up a bit too.

Had a look around later on , only the 6 remainders sitting in the steading , no idea where the rest are
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:01:43 am by Rupert the bear »

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 08:57:28 am »
First flight today. Saw the little family leave the barn this morning. Now all flying around full of life. Large gathering now forming here. Beautiful - but such a lump in my throat.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 06:45:03 pm »
One day earlier than last year, I wobbled into the steading to be met by a couple of swallows sitting on the cctv cable, after a moment of staring at me they took off for a flight round the yard singing as they went, it's made my day and made me a lot happier, summer is on its way

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2018, 11:36:19 pm »
 Hi RTB. I saw our first returner on Friday but yesterday evening there were  two on the wires outside the house. Both were twittering and flying in and out the barn tonight. Such a good sight.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2018, 02:42:03 pm »
I thought ours were here about a week ago, but if it was them (just heard them in the barn when feeding up) , they've gone very quiet or moved on.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2018, 04:36:40 pm »
Just heard our first one singing in the rain, but couldn't see it.  Phew - I was beginning to think they were lost.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 05:27:12 pm »
Saw a returning pair briefly yesterday afternoon but as it is now drizzling I suspect they have retreated a little

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 05:29:23 pm »
Our first (the advance guard) arrived last Thursday and now we have quite a few in the goat house, fighting for the best best nesting sites... but it does lift your spirits when they arrive!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS