Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mountain Ash/ Rowan tree  (Read 4308 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Mountain Ash/ Rowan tree
« on: April 11, 2017, 01:54:32 am »
Is it OK to  put sheep in a field where there  is a Mountain  Ash tree?  Just  wondered about them eating
the  leaves and berries..  Thank you
4 pet sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Mountain Ash/ Rowan tree
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:20:23 am »
My Badger Face love it!  Since birds eat the berries I'd guess the chances of berries falling to the ground would be minimal.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:54:59 am »
Thank you MF, that puts my mind to rest.Thought it would be ok but I always like check with others. Thanks
4 pet sheep

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:58:38 am »
Got several to put in with my council approved 'horse friendly' hedging. Not sure there is much toxic to sheep that is ok for horses?

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 11:21:02 am »
Animals have pretty good instincts about what they can and can't eat. Our sheep happily leave things like lords-and-ladies alone, as well the odd stray daffs that pop up in the field.

The exception is anything 'wilted', and therefor also anything baled into hay/silage. I think this is where the ragwort problem comes in. No doubt it's the same with yew too.

On the other hand, the wilting technique can be useful for getting things to eat nettles, for example. Which is why my next investment is a scythe.... much nicer than a load of roundup or mcpa.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS