Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weight gain in kids  (Read 1561 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Weight gain in kids
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:55:56 pm »
So the cloudburst candidate had twins but also had a tough time. She wasn't keen to know them to be honest. Things have improved but we are weighing daily to check that they are thriving. Born on Tuesday they weighed 4.9 kg and 4.2kg so big kids in my view. The boy has been banded this week so didn't expect too much weight gain. They are at 5.3 and 4.85 respectively today. Does that sound reasonable?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Weight gain in kids
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 06:20:09 pm »
I have know idea as I don't  weigh kids routinely (just for medication) just common sense are they growing well full tummys, when napping have  cosy noses when you get them up they stretch, full of energy. If they are constantly looking for a feed then they need more or standing about humphy backed, cold.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:35:14 pm »
Sam here, don't weigh my (goat)kids and just check on how they feel - as Talana says - a good check if they thrive is to wake them up from a snooze(by poking them) and when they get up, se if they are contentedly stretching... also check for goooey sticky faeces, a good sign that milk is coming through.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 09:49:37 pm »
Thank you both. I am a bit paranoid doe to past experiences so decided to weigh them to ensure they are eating ok. They both seem fine to be honest. Bouncing around today. I just need to relax a bit probably. Thanks for your answers.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:03:36 am »
I've started to weigh mine, certainly if any doubts for the first week or 2. If I had weighed them I would have realised little female wasn't putting much weight on and I could have saved her, though she did seem to be feeding, apparently not enough :-(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS