Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Panting ewe  (Read 2881 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Panting ewe
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:07:32 am »
Went to check on Ada this morning. Gave birth to two fine lambs on Saturday unaided. She now seems to be panting quite heavily. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Panting ewe
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:44:20 pm »
Pretty warm here today for a ewe in full fleece.  Does she have a temperature?  Does she have harsh breathing?  Does she have somewhere cool to lie? 

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 01:13:31 pm »
Thanks MF decided to err on the side of caution and called the vet. She has a temperature so he gave her an injection.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:22:18 pm »
An injection of what?   
Always make sure you know what your vets are giving your animals - you should be recording it in your medicine book anyway.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 01:38:34 pm »
Our vets always give us a medication sheet with all the details on it, which we keep in lieu of repeating it all in the vetmed book.  I would guess it was an antibiotic ....?

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 01:46:18 pm »
Ones of ours was panting heavily the other day so I just checked her again later on in the evening when it had cooled down and she was fine. It is warm and in full fleece I think I would be hot !

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:37:08 pm »
Our vets always give us a medication sheet with all the details on it, which we keep in lieu of repeating it all in the vetmed book.  I would guess it was an antibiotic ....?
Could be anti inflammatory... but then if she has a temp then you would expect infection, normally vets give both anti inflammatory and antibiotic. We always record meds given by vet either on our computer record for the cows or in sheep medicine book, farm assurance means we have to have proper records not bits of paper floating around everywhere. It's good to get into the habit of doing it as standard anyway.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »
An injection of what?   
Always make sure you know what your vets are giving your animals - you should be recording it in your medicine book anyway.

I think the OP was just bringing us up to date and not suggesting they didn't know what they had been given or not put it in their medicine book  :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 03:19:27 pm »
Could be anti inflammatory... but then if she has a temp then you would expect infection, normally vets give both anti inflammatory and antibiotic. We always record meds given by vet either on our computer record for the cows or in sheep medicine book, farm assurance means we have to have proper records not bits of paper floating around everywhere. It's good to get into the habit of doing it as standard anyway.

I am sure Marches Farmer has immaculate records. He was merely saying the vet gives him a data sheet  which presumably his records refer to.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS