Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOAT very poorly  (Read 3114 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
GOAT very poorly
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:51:26 am »
 :-[ I noticed on Saturday morning when I went to do the breakfasts that my 7 year old boer goat wouldnt get up to feed - always usually hungry.  On getting her up she had had diaroeah - I cleaned her up and gave her some Lectade rehydrating sachet.  I continued that during the day but she didnt seem any better, so called the vet who said temperature very low, could have eaten something she shouldnt have and is very poorly.  Gave her a/b, rumen stimulant and buscopan and got her under a heat lamp.  She is just lying and moaning and generally not feeling right.  This morning although standing soon laid down again.  Is there anything else I can try to make her eat?  How long do I leave her without making the decision to pts?  I am trying desperately to get liquid into her without too much success as just dribbles out.  I don't want her to suffer but will try anything to coax her along.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Re: GOAT very poorly
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:02:47 am »
In the past I have been told that cold strong black tea is useful when they are off everything. We had a goat that ate a rhododendron leaf and that seemed to do the trick. Another time however our vet gave us charcoal drenches to repeat at 2 hr intervals.
I hope she improves but would def def call the vet ( if it were me)
Good luck

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 12:11:40 pm »
Has her temperature come back up to normal? Mine will always be more happy in a coat at times like this.

If she isn't drinking you need to drench her properly with warm water (or make that camomile tea if you have got it) with added rehydration stuff (like Effydral), at least a litre over a couple of hours.

Other than that I would go for Ivy, bananas, cabbage leaves somehting like that. Willow leaves are also good, and here (Scottish borders) willow is already out in leaf!

I would also like to point out that goats - like humans - do get viruses, so viral diarrhoea may well be a possibility. Keeping her hydrated is really important to flush stuff through her system.

Other than that, possibly no idea what cold be wrong - has she been eating anything that could be mouldy (I am thinking mycotoxins...)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 06:27:01 pm »
Have a good look for worms too. We had one go down like this a few years back and not sure if flies started it, or attacked his rear end because he was stressed but he was full of worms. He did pull through but a lot of work, rehydrating through the night and having to teach him to stand again. Fit as a fiddle now.  Good luck.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:10:35 am »
How is the goat?

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:58:28 am »
After three visits from the vets and numerous injections, I had her pts early this morning as she was writhing and foaming at the mouth and very distressed.  I did try very hard but sometimes I wonder if the decision should have been made at the beginning.  Very sad but she is not in any more pain  :'(

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 01:11:21 pm »
 :hug:  :hug:
So sorry maddy, but no more pain for the poor girl, you always hope they'll get better and don't like to give in, you wouldn't have known she'd get worse.  did you find out what was wrong?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 04:06:37 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear this  :hug:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »
So sorry but well done for making such a hard decision. It's such a tough call but at least you know you did everything possible.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 10:18:32 pm »
So sorry, Maddy. I'm sure you know you made the right decision at the right time but it doesn't make it easier.  :hug:

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 11:54:14 am »
Oh no poor you and poor goaty  :gloomy:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS