Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eco-friendly bale wrap?  (Read 3076 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Eco-friendly bale wrap?
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:19:41 pm »
Does it exist?

I'm starting to delve into the possibility of improving sustainability, thinking wrap recycling etc, but is there an option for big bale silage/haylage that has lower environmental impact but still functions well? There may be leeway on cost.

I realise I'm talking about massive quantities of single-use plastic, though  ::)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Eco-friendly bale wrap?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 05:47:50 pm »
Solway recycling make all sorts of things from the plastic. Google them

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 09:01:30 pm »
Eliminate the wrap by building a silage pit.  Sheet which covers it can be reused.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:06:04 pm »
Eliminate the wrap by building a silage pit.  Sheet which covers it can be reused.

But maybe not so convenient when you are already kitted out with round baler and bale spike and have nowhere suitable to build a sileage pit; nor a forage harvester or sileage trailer with which to harvest the grass.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 01:38:56 pm »

I don't think we've a suitable space, but it's true I hadn't added that to the possibilities.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 01:58:49 pm »
It is miles cheaper to make silage that way...and Miles greener....obviously there are considerations  which may make it practical for you or not as have been mentioned above.

A farmer friend of mine recently made the switch, and I think he said the silage pit paid for itself in terms of saved net wrap and plastic costs alone in 3 years....but pretty sure he got a grant towards building the pit too.

I'll ask and get some ball park numbers next time I see him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:02:49 pm by stufe35 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS