Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb problem  (Read 2266 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
lamb problem
« on: March 17, 2017, 01:36:38 pm »
My ryeland ewe gave birth 8 days ago to triplets - two small and one larger lamb.  All fine.  Feeding well.  Over the last couple of days two of the small lambs were slightly limping.  Today one was much worse and almost non weight bearing on a back leg.

I appllied iodine on the navel at birth and ensured they all had colustrum.  Could it still be joint ill?  The joints move and are not hot.  They are still feeding well.

Any advice gratefully received.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: lamb problem
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:23:06 pm »
Yes it could be.  They can get the bacterial infection from routes other than through the navel.  If they are not getting better (it could just have been knocked about a bit?) then pop them down to your vet for some antibiotics.  Assume the worst (i.e. it is joint ill) as you need to treat it quickly in order to get a good outcome.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:05:15 pm »
Mine had a similar problem last year. Caught it early. Treated as Foobar says, all ok. Just be quick!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 03:14:05 pm »
I agree - they're young enough to respond very quickly to a/bs but will go downhill equally rapidly if you leave it.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 04:12:09 pm »
You can tell if its joint ill because the joint is swollen?  Probably a bit early for scald (sores in between the cleats).  Joint ill needs antibiotics, scald just terramycin type spray.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 04:57:26 pm »
Even if it is not joint ill (but it does look that way), antibiotics fast. Not sure which one though.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 06:14:36 pm »
Had success with synulox for joint ill, or pen strep for milder cases  :fc: but you have to get on it asap before the joint is damaged beyond repair.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 06:51:30 pm »
Act now - its do or die.

Are they in still now in a pen or out and about?

How is the ewe acting towards the lame ones?

Small ones can get bullied away by mum if its all too much.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 08:32:13 pm »
Hi Maddy. I had a lamb like this a couple of weeks ago.  I had 'double dipped' this year so didn't think joint I'll.  fetlock joint was swollen and he wasn't weight bearing on that leg.  Gave metacam at 0.1 on vet advice (used an insulin syringe).  Anyway he was fine two days later - reckon he had been stepped on.  So it might not be joint ill but check with vet as presume abiotic better safe than sorry in your case.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS