Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farrowing bar  (Read 1607 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Farrowing bar
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:31:26 pm »
I'm doing the finishing touches to a small pig farrowing house I've built. I plan to put in a farrowing bar. How high should it be and how far away from the wall would people recommend?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Farrowing bar
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 03:12:01 pm »
We have purpose built farrowing sties put in by the former owner, who kept commercial sows.  They are a bit close together for our GOS sows although the gilts fit just fine.  I'd measure your sow when she's lying down and add about 20cm for the width.  Our bars are made from scaffold poles and about 23cm from the ground.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:28:59 pm »
Thanks MF

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 05:33:08 pm »
Measure from the top of her back at the shoulder to the bottom of her feet when she's lying on her side  She needs enough room so she doesn't get her legs caught under the bar but has to lie down slowly to fit in the space, giving the piglets a chance to squeak and let her know they're there.  I remember seeing a new commercial farrowing design which put a slope on the wall at one side, which had a similar effect - the sow had to slide down rather than just plonk herself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS