Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose in poor condition  (Read 1606 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Goose in poor condition
« on: March 16, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »
One of my geese isn't doing well. I have 3 geese which are 2 years old (a gander, his mate and this girl who is the 3rd wheel). We got another gosling last year who turned out to be a girl.

This goose has never had as nice a shape as the other girl and I thought that being kept in over winter hadn't done her much good. I wormed them with the flubenvet pellets in early Jan, but despite being off grass they didn't eat much of it.

This goose, April, now has quite a prominent keel and her back end is a bit more mucky than the others (they are quite clean). She is eating well and active and they are all back on grass.

I believe she is laying as she comes out of the house and I find a warm egg, but she was a sitter last year and much more maternal than the top goose so it's possible that she is sitting in others eggs (we are only getting 2 eggs every 2 days and the younger goose is definitely laying one of them).

What can I do for her if anything? Is she just a poor doer? I spoke to the vet today and they were clueless. She didn't know what you wormed geese with asked me to let them know if I find out. She thought that the Jan worming was sufficient but I could try wetting the worming pellets to make a porridge and give that orally so I knew the goose had eaten it  ??? Didn't leave me feeling very confident so thought I would ask you folks. Will get a picture on tomorrow.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Goose in poor condition
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
Poor old goose. I would suspect an infection so a course of anti b might not go amiss, though you will have to discard her eggs for a while. Poultry go down so quickly that whilst you're wondering what to do it may be too late. I hope she's well soon!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:38:45 pm »
Will suggest Anti-bs to vet, is it just normal anti-Bs, that the vet will have with them? Thank you.

Does the food dye on the vent work for geese as well as chickens? They all lay in the same nest so would be good to identify her eggs.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:01:58 am »
Your vet should know what a.bs are best and I would imagine food dye would work just as well with geese as with chickens. Good luck!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:57:22 pm »
It's the one on the left with the mucky back end.

And in the next photo you can see the keel.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS