Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey stag losing his balnce  (Read 1828 times)

Dagirlie

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
Turkey stag losing his balnce
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:14:53 am »
Hi. We have a Turkey stag that since yesterday seem to loose his balance. He does not really want to walk anywhere. If he does - he will most of the time just turn around in a circle around himself. Most of the time he just stands still and when he does he's got his left wing down and his eyes closed. We have checked his wings and feet and can't find anything wrong. His breathing seems fine. He is about 8 months old and we think that he is a Norfolk bronze.
Does anyone know what could be wrong and how to treat it?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Turkey stag losing his balnce
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:19:56 am »
How recently was he wormed?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:20:11 am »
I think he's had a stroke.. Maybe speak to a vet but if he was mine I'd cull him. If i was sure it was a stroke and not a desease I'd probably pluck and gut and look for any signs of desease, if none he'd go into the freezer..

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:34:56 pm »
Is he a commercial double breasted bronze? I.e. how big is he?
If he is double brested there is more risk of things like stroke, heart problems, fertility etc etc
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dagirlie

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 09:08:06 am »
Hi  All
Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry that I haven't been online to reply but we started lambing the other day.
After a couple of days our turkey stag went back to being and looking his normal self. We are still none the wiser about what was wrong with him though :-/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS