Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Haven't seen lamb feed  (Read 2840 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Haven't seen lamb feed
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:36:33 am »
Our first ever lamb was born last night. A lovely black ouessant girl  :)

She was born at some point between 8 and 10:30 last night (so around 8 hours ago). I haven't wanted to stress them out too much by being in "their space" too much (have shut them in the field shelter over night), I have checked on them a few times over night, but only for a few minutes and I haven't yet seen the lamb feeding from the ewe.

As this is our first lambing, I don't know what is normal. The lamb is up on her feet and sniffing around the shelter and I've seen her making some attempts at poking round the ewe's back end, but I haven't seen her be successful when I've been there. The lamb is warm and the ewe seems to like her and be encouraging her.

Is this something I should be concerned about? And if so what do I do? I'm keeping them in for now - should I wait til I've seen her feeding til I let them out?

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Re: Haven't seen lamb feed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:58:19 am »
Also, do you think it's alright keeping the ewe in when she is used to being outside and eating grass constantly? She has hay, but none of ours are that interested in the hay anyway and she doesn't seem to be eating it. Sorry for the slightly anxious questions from a first timer!!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:26:19 am »
They need colostrum within the first 2 hours of life really. Catch the lamb and see if her tummy is full, and catch the ewe and see if she has been sucked. If I haven't seen a lamb sucking within the first hour I'll put it on to suck or if it won't suck the ewe, milk the ewe and feed the lamb colostrum from a bottle just so I know it's had something. The ewe should be fine in for a couple of days but if she's stressed might be better out. Our ewes (lleyn x ) don't really like being in and live out all year round but do come in for the odd night for worming crutching flystrike spray etc and come lambing came in 2 weeks before they were due, they didn't stress but were very happy to be back out after they had lambed.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 07:58:39 am »
I had the same problem with my fist lamb. It looked so small and I didn't see it suckle so in the end I gave it some kick start. It perked up but still no suckling so decided I needed to bottle feed.
I went to the house to warm the milk and as I came out a local farmer was going down the road. He smiled when he saw me with the bottle and I told him it was my first time. He took the bottle from me and said he would show me what to do. When we got to the stable he picked the lamb up and started laughing. He said Look at its belly. This lamb doesn't need bottle feeding his belly is full.
The cat had the milk and I left the lamb with its mum.

Of course that might not happen in your case but just because you don't see it suckling don't assume it isn't.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:29:26 am »
The best guide is his belly, if it's flat then he's empty, round its full, if he hasn't fed then by now I'd expect him to be lethargic if he's up and bright with a round belly I wouldn't worry. Just sit and watch, I could watch for hours, they are time wasters!

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:33:38 am »
Thanks all. To my very inexperienced eye/feel, the lamb's tummy seems full, but I am just nervous about trusting my judgement!

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 08:44:52 am »
Just take some time to watch & observe their behaviour. When a content full lamb gets up he'll stretch leisurely and be alert.

If their sides look sunk in, standing with all four feet on one spot, chin tucked down by chest & look a bit like a camel then they're empty & need milk.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 03:11:37 pm »
Hold the lamb up by his front feet with his back against your legs - then you can see his belly. If he's feeding, it'll be round. If you haven't already put iodine on the navel, do that as well, although it's a bit late now.

BenBhoy's description of an unfed lamb is spot on.

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 04:37:56 pm »
Thank you. I have tried this and I *think* she is full. I think I just don't feel like I have enough experience to compare full and empty so don't feel 100% sure. She doesn't look like you describe though - she has a stretch when she gets up and has been following mum around the paddock, though this afternoon is mostly lying down and dozing.

Would I be right in thinking that day old lambs aren't springing around straight away? Because she definitely isn't doing the "springy lamb" thing, but I'm guessing that comes later?

I've seen her feeding a couple of times, but only for very short amounts of time so don't know how much she could have got.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »
They do only have short feeds when they're newborn.  Their tummies are tiny! :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 05:46:36 pm »
If a lamb is active, alert and warm after 8 hours it will have had colostrum! It would probably be dead if it didn't...

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 06:37:01 pm »
This is true [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member] I have no lambing experience, but can't help but keeping thinking back to feeding my own children today. I guess the principles are the same - if the little one, whether human or ovine, looks well and is alert and pooing, then it must be doing ok. The anxiety about whether they are "getting enough" and the lack of control about knowing how much they've had is the same for animals and little people too!  :D

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 08:15:51 am »
I had 2 lamb on Sunday, I pen them for 24 hours before putting them outside, one lamb was pinging and jumping from just a few hours old the other was happy to just lay in the straw with his mum, they are all different don't worry too much, the best sign is that they are bright, get up and stretch and happy to follow mum, good luck but it all sounds good to me, you never stop learning!!

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 08:24:14 pm »
Lamb is bright as a button and pinging round the field, hoping for some others to be born to join her and play!! Thanks all for your advice and reassurance. Have already learnt lots from our first time  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS