Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello! (from South Somerset)  (Read 2105 times)

Greenwood_Pete

• Joined Feb 2017
Hello! (from South Somerset)
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:17:03 pm »
 :wave:

My wife and I have just moved to a rental cottage just outside of Yeovil, with a 0.5 acre paddock attached.  We've been wanting to start our own smallholding for years, and this seems like the perfect opportunity and foundation from which to build.

We're both ecologists by training and I'm also involved in woodland management, coppicing and hedgelaying.  Whilst we've grown and gathered our own food before, this is our first opportunity to seriously attempt to fulfil much of our own needs.

I look forward to getting involved and sharing the experience with you!

Pete

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Hello! (from South Somerset)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:18:02 pm »
Hi pete,

Welcome!

We're just a few miles west of tiverton, so not too far away. We took on 26 acres of totally neglected land last July,  and ate loving it. Plenty of stuff that you'd be familiar with I'm sure... hedging etc.. in fact last weekend we started planting our new mixed coppice.

We've only got sheep so far, but we've previous done pigs and goats in a small way too.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:45 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 06:32:10 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum from Carmarthenshire
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 07:51:29 pm »
Waving :wave: from North Cornwall
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:03:06 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:36:33 am »
 :wave: and welcome from Ceredigion
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 10:08:54 am »
Hi Pete. We had half an acre in Staffordshire and it amazed us how productive it was. Chickens, sheep, 20 fruit trees and a big vegetable plot. The experience gained there was essential to get us here. Good luck.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 06:46:41 pm »
Hello Pete,

We are in South Somerset as well. Stoke St. Gregory, which is between Yeovil and Taunton. It's a lovely part of the country, if a little stormy at present. ::) 

Fell free to send me a PM if you need any information about local suppliers or organisations.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 07:13:37 pm »
Hi Pete! South Somerset as well - just other side of Chard. Took on our place in 2013. We have 34 acres but are concentrating on the acre around the house at the moment while saving up for livestock, machinery, equipment, fencing, housing etc. The farmer we rent the fields to looks after them better than we could at the moment but we have plans. We have loads of poultry (hens, geese, ducks and turkeys), bees, have planted an orchard and have been using a digger all weekend to level an area for a large polytunnel. We are loving it!

:thumbsup:
Helen

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 10:49:23 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon. You will be making lovely plans!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS