Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kid feeding  (Read 1663 times)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Kid feeding
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:11:49 pm »
Can anyone advise on the latest ideas for powdered milk use when raising goat kids ??? I've done it plenty of times in the past but always used my own goats milk but now have no adults and thinking of getting a couple of kids !! Your thoughts please....Lamb replacer, calf ????

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Kid feeding
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:22:24 pm »
You can get Caprilac (powder especially for goats, I have found it dissolves well and doesn't leave the smeary residue that Lamlac tends to), but it is a bit more pricey than Lamlac. If using lamb milk replacer make it up a bit more dilute than t says for lambs, can be too rich for goat kids otherwise. I have nver used it for kids, just for lambs.

Where in the country are you - goatkeepers nearby with a surplus to sell maybe?

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Kid feeding
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:27:54 pm »
I know caprilac is expensive I used to be an agent for them when I was in Hampshire but now I'm in North Dorset and they no longer have a goat club and apart from Boer goats and commercial here's I don't know of any small scale producers. I too have used lamlac for lambs and still have a couple of breeding ewes so I could go down that route it would also be useful if I need it for lambs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS