Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seeking generator advice  (Read 2554 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Seeking generator advice
« on: February 12, 2017, 07:00:37 pm »
We moved into this property two years ago.  It was equipped with a back-up generator for emergency use for the domestic electricity.  There is a big handle near the fuse box that can switch supply from the mains grid to the generator.  The previous occupant said the mains supply had been unreliable in the past (rural setting) but was better now.  As we have not had major problems with the mains supply we have not taken much notice of the generator.  Now we are thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a working system in place.  The existing generator was bought in 2004 and is looking rather dilapidated and guess efficiency has moved on.

Not having had much experience of generators I am looking for general advice on what might be a good model if we decide to replace the existing one, plus any general words of wisdom.  Existing one is a 6.7 kVA KIPOR KDE 5000T

Many thanks

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Seeking generator advice
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:52:44 am »
If it is going to be rarely used, minor gains in efficiency from a new unit won't offset the purchase costs Gribinlsaf. My advice would be to service the existing unit.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:55:15 am »
If you don't maintain your generator its not going to fire seamlessly into action when you need it whatever its age.  13years old is nothing for an engine that's hardly ever used.   Buy a new one, if you don't maintain it within a year it will 'look' dilapidated too.

Id suggest having your generator serviced/checked / tested.  Then whether you replace it or not in future get into a regime of starting it and running it for 10-15mins on a regular basis ---say once every month or six weeks. Make sure you switch the electric over to ensure it is used under load in real conditions.

Put it in your electronic calendar or diary so you don't forget.  That way the day you need it- it will be good to go.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:11:30 pm »
yes chrismahon and stufe35, I guess I really knew what you have said - good advice - will do that.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:26:57 pm by GribinIsaf »

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:07:32 pm »
You've lived there for 2 years and had no power cuts ?   Do you have power critical operations. Eg milking ?

Do you really need it , or would a drawer with a torch, spare batteries, a few candles and the old camping stove to make a brew suffice ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 09:22:25 pm »
We were in the same situation back up genny and change over switch. I would run the generator for a couple of hours a month under load , that way I knew it would work and the switch gear was ok  :fc:. Once a year the change over switch was checked by the hydro board as they didnt want fried engineers on the line . But as time went by the power supply became better so the 17Kw job was sold .
Now its a 6kw one again run once a month ,its portable so I can take it to the distant parts of the croft . And a battery inverter for the TV / PC  if needed. otherwise woodburner for cooking and heat, or better still back to bed really warm too  :hug:

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:12:26 pm »
You've lived there for 2 years and had no power cuts ?   Do you have power critical operations. Eg milking ?

Do you really need it , or would a drawer with a torch, spare batteries, a few candles and the old camping stove to make a brew suffice ?

Had an eight-hour power cut today!  But you are right stufe35 - need to think what is really needed.  Critical operations are water from a bore hole that requires an electric pump and also the care of a 94-year old family member.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS