Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Somerset  (Read 6255 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Hello from Somerset
« on: June 20, 2010, 05:21:47 am »
Well nice to be here and congratulations on a great forum.

When I left school many moons ago, farming was where I was going, i trained a  herdsmen and spent a few happy years on two dairy farms both herds in excess of 120, those were the days.

As time went on and farming suffered, i left to get a job that could support my family  ::) As some of you will know, farming isn't just job its a way of life and I never got used to being away from it.

I'm now in my forty's and developed an incurable disease, I no longer work and haven't for 6 years; as my better half would tell you, I am completely mad and just about to grab an acre and a few buildings, shes doing her nut, because of my health etc, my kids are excited and I'm excited for them to be involved and learn; I rest my case me lud  ???

Well non profit is the choice, probably just as well :D Rehab, stimulation and something to get up for is my purpose; we will see how it develops, so I'm here to catch up on all the stuff thats developed while I was away and theres plenty including Defra  :-\ May be I can be of some help here also, but will see how true that is in time, not much brain to pick anymore  ;D

i spent the last few years of work in computer software and may concider looking at producing something for use by small holders to keep records and reports? Just an idea fro now, so not to much excitement please  :-[

Great to be here  :wave: Look forward to some like minded chat  :farmer:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Hello from Somerset
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:18:02 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 07:20:07 am »
Hi

Welcome  hopefully - as in the case of a friend of mine - it may be that smallholding may help improve things.  Your determination is to be applauded.  Looking forward to hearing loads about your new project.  HM

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:25:08 am »
Welcome and good luck.c :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:51:41 am »
Hello Cobra  :)

welcome from Worcestershire.  My mum developed an uncurable illness when I was 2. She is now 61 and living with my husband, 4 children and I - we bought a smallholding and I can honestly say that although she can't help with the physical side of the work she benefits greatly from the views, the sounds of the countryside, the fresh air and of course the fresh eggs and milk straight from the goat!! She has MS and good days go hand in hand with bad but we've had more good days here than we have in many moon's. I hope that you find the same  :)
It sounds like your children might be of a similar age to my own, it would be good to compare notes on what the children can do around the land etc - mine currently love the eggs and pulling veg but I think they'd like to do more!
anyway, take care
Lisa x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:07:57 pm »
Hello and welcome Cobra in Somerset from Scotland  :wave:
Can't help but be excited about your thoughts on developing some smallholders software.  I doubt you'll have time to think much about it while you're getting set up but hopefully one day you will start working on it. Looking forward to that  :)
My husband too has ill health - in his case a particularly vicious cancer which has left him severely restricted in what he can do - doesn't stop him and I'm sure your illness will not stop you, but even when you are at your worst and get so frustrated because you can't do all you want to, keep in mind that it's SOOO much better to be working for yourself in something challenging and fun than sitting staring at a blank wall and feeling sorry for yourself  :(  You are obviously not the sort of person to take that route. And you can always come on here and read the limericks for a laugh  ;D
I don't know if anyone else has found that things always take far longer to get done than you expect, even if you're fit.  We joke that between us we're worth about half a fit person, but over the years we've made a difference here and set up a working smallholding the way we want it and how we can manage it, little bit by little bit.  This year we're trying HelpX (help exchange, like WWOOFS but a broader range of skills) where people from all over come and work a few hours a day in return for bed and board - don't know how it will work out, but it could be worth considering to help you with the heavier work needed while you get set up. I'll report back at the end of the summer.
Good Luck to you and your family and we look forward to hearing how you get on.   :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 07:22:31 pm »
hello and welcome
Little Blue

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »
Wishing you every success from herefordshire  :wave:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 09:22:39 pm »

hello and welcome from the Scottish Borders  :wave:
Anne

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 11:28:49 pm »
Hi and welcome from Suffolk

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 12:17:44 am »
Hello and welcome from rural Birmingham (not)  :)

Not been on here long myself but it's great and I hope you get as much out of the forum as you possibly can.

All the best,

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:18:10 am »
Wow! What a great welcome, thanks one and all for your kind words and encouragement.  ;)

Ive always lived in the country and managed to stay in villages most of the time, living in this environment does help me, so your sentiments are very well understood, surroundings can make a difference. We neighbour on a farm here, they will be bailing at the bottom of the garden tomorrow if the rain holds off; for many years Ive watched it happen from the window and yearned to be back in to that; I just felt the need to have my own bit, just a bit! that I can plan for carefore and work when I can and in the way I can, now hopefully I get the chance.

Fleecewife, your observations and statements are so very true, you sum things up so well, bless yah and hope your hubby has many happy years doing what he enjoys: When I first got ill and the first few years had passed, i noticed something, nearly everyone that Ive met with health issues has said they had been through it in order in one form or another: 1st Anger - 2nd Frustration -  3rd Guilt then 4th Depression or feeling low; then from no ware; comes that liberating slap in the face of reality, moan about it or find the good things and get on with it; sound familiar? I have spent 6 years at home having the absolute privilege and pleasure of watching my daughter grow and develop; used do to a six day way week leaving home at 3:30am and getting home between 8:00 and 10:00pm, if I had been doing those hours I used to, I would have been lucky to see her a few hours a week and missed so so much, theres always something to be glad of if your eyes are open to it.

My illness is going to be a real issue, Ill make no bones about it. Ive highlighted my health in the hope that, if I have a bad day and my spelling and grammer is all shot on here, you'll have an idea why and maybe forgive the silly old sod  ;D

Thanks again to one and all, what a great bunch you are, i promise the next thing i write on here will be about the little plot and how were doing and not about me problems. :wave:.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 08:46:39 am »
Hi and welcome from Alloa.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 09:51:07 am »
Cobra - I've highlighted this on another thread, but you might want to take a look at the Thrive website - it's a horticultural therapy charity, who might be able to help with stuff like labour-saving devices, work plans etc - it's for people with both physical disabilities and mental health problems. I use them in my work as an Occupational Therapist.

www.thrive.org.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 10:01:07 am »
If you have a bad day then tell us, the support you will get from this site can only be constructive and uplifting. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS