Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs in March  (Read 3269 times)

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
Pigs in March
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:01:21 pm »
Hi All

I just wanted to say Hi   :wave:
We're getting 2 pigs to fatten up in March ready for slaughter later in the year.  This is our first year doing this.  We run a smallholding which we bought last year, so all very new to us.
I'm looking forward to getting them and giving them good lives.
I'll report back when we have them :)

:excited:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Pigs in March
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:30:54 pm »
Sounds brilliant and very exciting! What breed are you getting? All the best with them and do let us have some lovely piccies when you get them? :excited:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:03:51 pm »
That gives you plenty of time to sort out housing, fencing, water supply, feed and do lots and lots of reading .....

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:32:13 pm »
I am researching things daily - I love it!  They are saddle back crosses I am told but we're going to visit soon as they will be weaned 1st March.  This year we're buying 2 and slaughtering 2, just to get used to having them around and seeing how it goes then next year we would like to buy 3, 1 to slaughter and 1 for breeding from and 1 to be companion.  Of course the research may change this method if it isn't suitable.
Thank you for your kind comments - it's so exciting :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 08:57:27 am »
I am researching things daily - I love it!  They are saddle back crosses I am told but we're going to visit soon as they will be weaned 1st March.  This year we're buying 2 and slaughtering 2, just to get used to having them around and seeing how it goes then next year we would like to buy 3, 1 to slaughter and 1 for breeding from and 1 to be companion.  Of course the research may change this method if it isn't suitable.
Thank you for your kind comments - it's so exciting :)

Pigs are addictive and having two for the freezer is the way to start. As Marches Farmer has said lots of stuff to do and get right.  It is a big step between fattening and breeding. Lots of support on here.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03:47 pm »
I'm hoping to get 2 pigs in March as well.  Same as you, just to bring up and freeze later.  Its so exciting  :excited:
Never ever give up.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 08:35:06 pm »
Quote from: DartmoorLiz link=topic=81845.msg63075 :sunshine:, just to bring up and freeze later.  Its so exciting  :excited:
[/quote
Ouch freeze later?!  :innocent:  :roflanim: :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:33:58 pm »
I'm another one in this boat - it doesnt look likely that we'll have bought a small holding by that point (looking etc) but i'm  working on renting a bit of land (possibly from my land lord as i live on a dairy farm) so i could raise a few pigs.  I'm thinking OSB though i'm not entirely decided between them and Berkshire

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:29:53 am »
Do you find there are a lot of breeds local to you?  Our neighbour has a pig farm and we're being sensible and getting them from him this year.  His are mass produced of course but it would be silly not to get them from him to then be able to call on his experience if needed.
We're planning on keeping them in the barn for a week or 2 when they arrive and move them outside when the weather allows, depending on what March brings weather wise. 
It'll be great to follow everyone's journey.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 12:37:51 pm »
Our neighbour has a pig farm and we're being sensible and getting them from him this year.

Can you do a deal with him to buy their food as well?  That could save you a whole heap of money  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 02:51:46 pm »
I think he just buys it in, or do you mean as he will get it cheap in bulk?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 03:18:33 pm »
The most expensive way to buy feed is in bags and by small quantities so your neighbour will probably be buying in bulk so if he can sell to you then it will reduce your costs.

I don't know how close your neighbour is to you but he has reduced the risk of disease to his pigs by selling to you rather than you bringing pigs into his locality.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 03:53:36 pm »
Our neighbour has a pig farm and we're being sensible and getting them from him this year.

Can you do a deal with him to buy their food as well?  That could save you a whole heap of money  :thumbsup:

tad awkward if it's blown into a silo  ;D
but not impossible

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS