Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To dye or not to dye - that is the question  (Read 2712 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
To dye or not to dye - that is the question
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:50:16 am »
Well, I got my 8 shaft Ashford table loom for Christmas. It took us ages to put together but at last its finished.

I was trying to put a very small warp on it yesterday and got myself in a bit of a muddle.

I have been reading about dyeing texsolv heddles to colour code them. Anyone got experience of this and if so what do you dye them with?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: To dye or not to dye - that is the question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 09:32:35 am »
No, but I'll be interested to see any answers you get!

Otherwise I wonder about using indelible marker, or paint, above the level iof the eye of the heddle?

Congratulations on the loom!  Did you get yourself sorted out and are you weaving now?  What's the project? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 09:40:53 am »
I have metal heddles on my loom, we were all advised to mark the centre heddle(s)with coloured yarn to make counting easier. If you don't want to dye the texsolve, which might not take the dye very well, you could tie small coloured threads on to mark the centre etc, using different colours for each shaft. We shall of course need to see pictures documenting your progress!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 11:24:45 am »
No, but I'll be interested to see any answers you get!

Otherwise I wonder about using indelible marker, or paint, above the level iof the eye of the heddle?

Congratulations on the loom!  Did you get yourself sorted out and are you weaving now?  What's the project?

OH put the loom together with a little hindrance from me :-)

I have been trying to put on a short warp just to give it a try but as I was threading the heddles (having already done one side) I realised I had all of the heddles on the 8th shaft on the left so no heddles to warp up on the right :-(
OH lowered the castle and we took one lot of heddles off and put them on the other side but now I seem to have something caught up so think we need to lower the castle again to sort it. I walked away at that stage and haven't been back yet again today. It isn't serious but just a pain.

First project is going to be a shimmering scarf in advanced point twill. Its a free pattern in this link.

http://www.interweave.com/wp-content/uploads/HW_8_Shaft_eBook.pdf

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 12:41:01 pm »
Hurray a new craft project for me to see New Year's Eve Sally ......  you never disappoint  :wave:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 03:04:13 pm »
The scarf looks fabulous!  Makes me think I should try using all 8 of my shafts... ;p. Mind, there's 200 miles between me and my multishaft looms at present  >:(.  Planning to bring the small 4-shaft back with me later in January - can't wait!   :excited:

I started following the Deborah Chandler Learning to Weave book, which suits me very well although I know she's not everyone's cup of char.  First warp, I was threading away, thinking, "She should have made this exercise just a little bit more difficult.  I'm not learning as much as I would if I made some mistakes."  .... You don't need me to tell the rest of the story, of course.   :roflanim:  One lesson (of several  :-[) was to work out how many heddles to have each end of the shafts before starting to thread...

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 03:26:30 pm »
I have the Deborah Chandler book and use it a lot. Just arrived today is A weavers bookof 8 shaft patterns by Carol Strickler.

Lots of patterns in it but disappointed that everything is black and white :-(

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 09:03:02 pm »
Exciting times, Sally. I'm looking forward to seeing the result and wishing I could still use my four shaft loom.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 09:41:11 am »
Gosh how exciting - sounds a bit complicated too. Best of luck though.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS