Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shooting  (Read 8509 times)

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
Re: Shooting
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 10:20:02 am »
Obviously a natural  ;)

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 06:17:11 pm »
It amazes me at how the laws are so different across the pond when it comes to guns. I have been looking at the different posts over time on here about them.  Over here the only license you need is when you want to carry a concealed weapon or if you want to hunt you need a license for that but not the guns themselves. Also in New Hampshire (my home state) that I live in it is an open carry state so as long as people can see it you are free to carry what ever weapon you want any place you want when ever you want (except government buildings). The only other time that the Gov is involved in firearms is when you purchase one from a store and then it is only to check your criminal history to make sure you’re not a bank robber.Other than that they say go crazy...  ::)   

Hmmm I wonder if that has anything to do with the high crime rate involving guns....
http://www.nationmaster.com/red/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir_percap-crime-murders-firearms-per-capita
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 08:15:46 pm »
Live Free or Die is that not the state motto for NH?

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 10:24:58 pm »
Why, yes it is, although if you ask me the "die" part is kind of a leap. I think there would be several steps in there someplace prior to death and I'm pretty sure "move" would come way before die...  :-\  (maybe thats just me.)
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

bsadevon

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Plymouth Hooe
    • http://www.pro-skipper.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 08:23:32 pm »
Hi my understanding re shooting

Airgun good for Rabbit quiet and needs no licence as long as you have landowners permission - would advise BASC insurance.

Pheasant -I can see a couple of problems firstly is classified as game therefore has a season and requires a game licence.

Check you don't piss off the neighbour if they have bred it for sport - technically not illegal but not very diplomatic.

GOOD LUCK - safe shooting.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:15:38 pm by bsadevon »

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 09:38:12 pm »
My advice is find a local pheasant shoot and over your services as a beater. You will end up with a brace of birds and may even get paid. If its a syndicate run shoot you may also end as a gun on the shoot when a space becomes available, but you may have to put in a few seasons beating before that happens.

Start with an airgun and shoot vermin (rabbits, crows, magpies squirrels etc) leave the pheasants well alone.

To do this you will need the landowners permission (the hard bit)

Then move on to a shotgun and start to practise on the clays and mix that with beating and you'll be well on the way

PS Game licences are now obsolete

Good luck

Sandy

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 10:23:46 pm »
My son in law came up and went on a game shoot and got 2 Deer and Oh how that has upset lots of people...I am amazed how strangely people react to animals being shot opposed to being farmed..nothing wrong as long as you kill as quickly as posible!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 11:28:00 pm »
Just ignore them, Sandy, they are the ones that lose out.  Wish I could get some wild venison, I love it.  All I get is pheasant and hare on our shoot.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 11:55:53 pm »
it takes time to adjust to the reasoning of shooting. i wouldnt allow shootin here a few years back, but now wer overrun wi pheasants so we put them in the freezer. seems so easy compared to all the hardwork that comes with domestic animals. plus theyre eating stacks of chicken feed so nice and plump. my boy was so excited when he found a pellet in his dinner!!  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS