Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shooting  (Read 8512 times)

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
Shooting
« on: July 30, 2008, 01:54:05 pm »
My partner and i are both intrested in shooting rabbits, phesant etc. Neither of us have any experience or a good place to start! so i have a few questions if anyone can help!

1 - what type of gun would we need.... air rifle / shotgun etc

2 - how do we go about getting licenced for a gun and do all guns need a licence?

3 - are their any associations / clubs / websites anyone can point us to?

Thanks!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:59:33 pm »
Dan uses a .22 airgun to shoot rabbits (and chickens). You don't need a licence (yet). He spent a while target shooting before he tried live prey, so that he could get a clean kill. He downloaded rabbit shaped targets and had them pinned to a straw bale in the field.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:47:07 pm »
thanks rosemary thats really helpfull espically the target practice bit im sure ill need lots and lots of pratice!

Do you know who i would contact about a gun license? just incase i would need one in the future

Thanks

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:10:13 pm »
To have a shot gun license you get the forms from the local police station.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:27:33 am »
thanks kaz, i do think a shotgun for someone like me would be a bit excessive tho!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:25:52 pm »
You may need a firearms certificate - again local police will help.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:21:20 pm »
Hi,
If you want live target practice you are welcome to come and shoot my rabbits they are a bl**dy nuiscence.
Where are you based? we are in the North East of Scotland.
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Still Dreaming

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:12:54 pm »
If you do go down the Shotgun route I would recommend joining the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC).  Details can be found at www.basc.org.uk as it covers you for £10M liability insurance and £35,000 personal accident coverage while shooting.  They can also link you in to the whole shooting bit in the UK (legal, training, etc). 

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 02:33:09 pm »
thanks for all the replys!  ;D

Dave and Viv

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:23:56 pm »
Hi Stephen, after reading all of the messages below I believe the best route for you to take would be to try an air gun first (no licence required at this time). You will be able to shoot your intended quarry in reasonable safety. You would need to be able to get within 30 yards of the target to ensure a clean dispatch and I believe the advise from Rosemary is very sound regarding plenty of target practice prior to shooting any living target.

A rim fire 22 is most commonly used for the shooting of rabbits (is not suitable for any quarry above the ground or without a sound back drop); however It is unlikely that a firearms licence would be issued without any prior experience. It would certainly be a good idea to join a local rifle club, where you could gain experience without any large outlay of funds.

If you go down the air rifle route a .22 is in my opinion best, however you would need to ensure you brought one very near to the legal limit (a gun dealer/club will advise you further). Please ask if you require further details.

Dave 

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 09:26:12 am »
excellent thanks!  ;D

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 01:35:12 pm »
Hi Stephen - just read your post

All sound advice. Just a few points worth noting. Air guns are a good introduction to shooting sports, however you may fall fowl of the local landowner, neighbour etc if you start popping of their reared pheasants for the pot!! If you have a local clay pigeon shooting ground nearby, i would strongly recommend going for a lesson. This can open all sorts of doors & will give you a good introduction to shotguns. It will also give you a good reason to apply for your shotgun certificate. 12 bores are the most popular game/clay guns although there are lighter alternatives such as 20 or 28 bores. The BASC and Countryside Alliance websites have plenty of info & would echo SD's post that joining one of these organisations would be beneficial (if only for the insurance).

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 07:17:36 pm »
Just a little something I would like to share with you.  :) I have been with my husband for about 16 years. He has a number of guns which he stores in a locked cabinet and takes out to clean every so often. I dutyfully fill in his gun licence forms and send them off to be renewed every three years. Up until recently he has never shot at anything, that is until we had crows stealing the hens eggs and corn etc. I told him he would have to shoot some as the numbers were growing due to the good food supply. I feel that I am feeding half the crows in Cheshire. He sat outside for hours and never managed to shoot any. :-[ This became the butt of family jokes (alot were worse than that)!!! Frequently missing the target etc. Last weekend we went to a game fair. They had shooting lessons and I anounced that I was going to learn to shoot. My husband and 2 children fell about laughing. They said I would hit nothing. I do like a challenge.  >:( I paid my money, listened to the instructor while my family stood laughing at the barrier. Then I hit 5 out of 5 clays.  ;) That stopped them laughing. So I keep saying to my husband to get a gun out for me - I will shoot the crows. Must get a shooting jacket and must book a weekend deer shooting. :D This really made my week and despite being really busy at work I keep smileing to myself.  :P
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 07:42:36 am »
Excellent! Good for you!

And VERY bad for the crows.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 10:15:28 am »
Good for you! thats excellent news and certainley very encouraging!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS