Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rats in my enclosure  (Read 8621 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Re: Rats in my enclosure
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 03:39:18 pm »
Thanks Waterbuffalofarmer - we're using the air rifle - it's what to do with them once they're dead.
I'm not sure the flower beds would work - the dog is so keen on catching the rats i think she'd dig them up. I just wondered if there was a correct way to dispose of them.
Not part of this thread,  but I do have another question - we have some (donkey) feed from last winter which we need to dispose of, it's in a metal bin but we've bought a fresh sack, but not sure how to dispose of the old stuff either. Obviously want to avoid it attracting more rats!
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 04:06:29 pm »
We put dead ones in a supermarket bag-for-life (yeah, I know...) and then in the wheelie bin. Beware in the summer, though, you don't want them in the bin for a fortnight in warm weather  :yuck:

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 04:17:39 pm »
Thanks Eve. I do have a vague recollection that you can put deceased rats in the wheelie bin although it does seem weird. Do you put them in the non-recycling bin?? I suppose wherever the recycling is dumped there will be rats all over it soon enough.
We were thinking of cremation in one of metal incinerator dustbins - is that okay or a bad idea?
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 05:22:47 pm »
Dead rats in black bin bags in domestic waste is allowed (as is dead cats).  They with either go to landfill or get incinerated.

Don't put them in the food waste bin for composting as you never know what they are carrying disease-wise.

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 08:23:31 pm »
Yeah, there are lots of ways to get rid of rats aside from poison.
I'm quite surprised people on this forum are condoning the use of poison.
It enters the food chain- not to mention the horrible death it causes!
Trap em, shoot em or set the cat on them -but don't poison them!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 08:45:38 pm »
Can rats climb trees? There are definitely rats at the bottom of an apple tree in the garden but the dog spends ages looking up into the branches of the tree with the same stance and tail wagging as when she spots them elsewhere. Maybe she's confused but I wonder if they run up the tree when she's after them at the bottom?!
They most certainly can - they run up and down my cypress trees in the front paddock!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS