Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying products just to recycle/reuse  (Read 5206 times)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Buying products just to recycle/reuse
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:31:39 pm »
Went to get a coffee this morning and had run out! grrr!! this year i have been buying dowe eggberts coffee instead if cheap stuff so i can reuse the glass jars to fill up for xmas presents this year!  ;) sweeties and bath salts etc
Also when i was weaning my son i saved loads of the little baby food jars so i can fill them up with mini homemade pickles, chutneys and stuff to put in my xmas hampers!  ;)
I no the extras pence for the coffee you wouldnt beable to buy nice jars for  ;D even at the charity shop
Does anyone buy a different brand so they can keep the packaging? Share yours guys  ;)  ;D
Danielle x

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Buying products just to recycle/reuse
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »
I buy tesco 200 gm classic rich roast coffee at £1.30 ish . I hate some cheap coffees but this one is drinkable , plus the jars hold 1lb of dried beans , peas ,oats , barley , wheat etc etc . So they make it really easy to know how much of anything you have in store at anytime , and if any goes off , you only lose 1lb instead of a huge amount .
Also , tesco salad cream  570gm . The jar is perfect for me to use for piccalilli , branston , chutney , pickled onions , relishes etc etc . I bought 10 jars ages ago , for 5p a jar , as they were just about out of date . I gave my family a jar each and asked that they gave me the empty back . So I got my jar for 50p ...and then another 9 empty jars .  It is even cheaper to buy deals like that and throw away the contents ...you can't buy the jars cheaper anywhere, unless you by thousands at a time .
 I also keep the Apple cider vinegar bottles , as they make perfect bottles for cooking oil , and the small amounts of hemp and sunflower oil I grow .

cheers

Russ 

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:53:32 pm »
I used to but no longer do. I use to save cardbord tubs to make candles in as you can pour the wax in then peel it off when they are set, I also used to save any jars, again for candles, I get coffee in tins and I hate throwing them away as they look useful but what for, not sure???

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:05:01 pm »
Don't know about you Sandy but where do you store all these maybe usefull items.I have to have a muck out every six months.Would you believe  Wheres that Quality Street tin from Christmas Kath We threw it out a fortnight ago when you cleaned the under the stairs ??? ??? :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:05:10 pm »
I won't throw anything away, which makes my old man mad, he being a tidy soul. Jars of all types are used for jams. pickles etc. Plastic bottles have the bottoms cut off and are "planted" next to tomato, courgette and squash plants to make watering easier. Larger plastic bottles are used as mini cloches or feeders and drinkers for chicks etc. Cardboard boxes are hoarded as carriers of poultry to and from market.
I aim to put out my re-cycling bin no more than once every three months and my landfill bin no more than every two months.
If I have any plastic trays from meat (very rare) I use them as plant trays or feed carriers and anything paper or wool or cotton if not obviously re-usable go into my runner bean trench.
Green or wot! ;)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:17:52 am »
I buy shower gel for 19p from Lydl and use it on the kitchen sink as hand wash. I decant it into a posh bottle and nobody knows the difference. lol

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:38:24 am »
Have you seen those magnificent replica old fashioned hexagonal jars that are about Sheila they are pound size and 3" diameter tops That was probably a cork but there is no corks They are 3 for a quid I have bought some and intend to turn some beech wood ones up on the lathe They will make grand Xmas presents full of mincemeat or chutney me thinks
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:12:19 pm »
I shall look out for those.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 07:46:39 am »
I buy 1 litre of water from Tesco's to reuse the containers to make wine as they are cheaper than glass demi johns and easier to store as they are square shaped.

I am not, and will not, be responsible for any people becoming alcohol dependant after making LOADS of wine by trying this idea.  ;D :D ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 08:13:50 am »
What me hossifur I know nowt abhat it It wont me honest ;D ;D :farmer: :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 11:16:40 am »
I buy 1 litre of water from Tesco's to reuse the containers to make wine as they are cheaper than glass demi johns and easier to store as they are square shaped.

I am not, and will not, be responsible for any people becoming alcohol dependant after making LOADS of wine by trying this idea.  ;D :D ;)
I'd like to start making wine.  I have demi johns from when John used to make it.  I bought fresh yeast yesterday - can I freeze it?  What else do I need?  I know I need plastic tubing for transferring the wine to bottles and some bottles but other than that I'm completely lost.  Camden tablets, I remember about too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 01:02:51 pm »
You dont need a great deal for wine making Annie just this really

Demi john or plastic container either 1 gallon or 5 gallons

Plastic tube, about 1/12 feet of it

Steralizer for equipment and fruit. Milton will do

air lock

bung to put air lock in

desired fruit or veg or fruit juice

wine making yeast (type is important for the flavour)

Sugar

(chilli as a cheat for red wine)

http://www.brew-magic.co.uk/Wine_recipes/wine.aspx

http://www.zen37219.zen.co.uk/recipes.htm

Try these Annie they contain good recipes and ideas and then enjoy!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:06:25 pm by Jackie »

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 02:47:32 pm »
Hello Anne love I agree with Jackie there are all sorts of methods THE BIG THING IS CLEANLINESS.Wash EVERY THING YOU UUSE BEFORE AND AFTER IN YOUR FAVOURITE STERILIZER FLUID.CAMPDEN TABLETS ARE A MUST.Now you can muck about as much as you like.Milton to clean your utensils and Campden Tablets to kill any wild yeasts present on your petals or fruit.This yeast can completely spoil your wines.My way you need a couple of those cheap plastic pails with lids If you look in recipes I have posted some suggestions in recipe's. You will of course need some bottles I never use plastic bottles for wine.Wine should not be active when It is bottled There are of course sparkling wines but that is a different method.Lets make some Raspberry only because they will be ready in a fortnight here.Having washed one of the pails put 4/5 lbs of fruit in the pail and  add enough warm  water to completely cover in a suitable container mash a Campden Tablet with a drop of warm water and stir in to the pail with the fruit Cover over and Leave for an hour or more then strain the fruit through a piece of muslin into the other pail. This you have previously sterilised.Now the fruit is ready to be squidged into pulp along with 3/4 banana's remove the peels and discard squidge the bananas into the fruits.Place 4 pints of water into a saucepan and bring to the boil and add your sugar keep it boiling for 2 minutes Then remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool to blood heat.and then pour it over your fruit. Get a packet of yeast of your choice and sprinkle it on the top of the berries and stir well.Stir it twice a day for 4 days then decant it into the other pail and leave it for 24 hours then strain it into the demijohn top up with boiled and cooled water to the base of the neck.Then fit the airlock and stopper, when it has stopped bubbling in six or eight weeks time you can bottle it up.Use a syphon to stop getting the lees into your finished wine. Store in a dark cupboard. Sugar? I find 11/2lbs DRY 2lbs medium and 21/2 lbs very sweet.  Goo on Anne love have a go if you get stuck Email me.                   

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 07:18:25 pm »
It sounds a bit scuttery but I'll maybe have a go next week.  ot my 3 year old GDD coming fro a couple of days - on her own - she said 'YIPPEE', Grannie isn't quite so enthusiastic. ;)  Stand by your beds dogs! ::) ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 08:25:49 pm »
hey up Anne love.I have a saying. Its great to have the kids round My word its greater to see them leave and go home :D :farmer: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS