Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bird Flu gatherings!  (Read 77888 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Bird Flu gatherings!
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2022, 01:22:56 pm »
Just seen this ......

Due to the increased risk of avian influenza from wild birds, an Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ) has come into force across Great Britain from noon today (Monday 17 October).

From this date, it will be a legal requirement for all bird keepers to follow strict biosecurity measures, as failure to do so could result in more cases. This applies to all bird keepers in England, Scotland and Wales, whether birds are kept commercially or as pets, regardless of whatever type or size. These measures include cleansing and disinfecting clothing, footwear and equipment, reducing the movement of people to and from areas, and preventing access by poultry to ponds and watercourses.

The AIPZ means bird keepers across Great Britain must:
Keep free ranging birds within fenced areas, and that ponds, watercourses and permanent standing water must be fenced off (except in specific circumstances e.g. zoo birds).
Clean and disinfect footwear and keep areas where birds live clean and tidy;
Minimise movement in and out of bird enclosures;
Reduce any existing contamination by cleansing and disinfecting concrete areas, and fencing off wet or boggy areas
Keep domestic ducks and geese separate from other poultry.
Ensure the areas where birds are kept are unattractive to wild birds, for example by netting ponds, and by removing wild bird food sources;
Feed and water your birds in enclosed areas to discourage wild birds;
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 01:25:52 pm by Backinwellies »
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

AndrewMBaines

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2022, 12:35:10 pm »
Anyone else find their advice confusing? First it says that only commercial keepers need to house their birds, then they give a 'must do' list that's difficult to meet without keeping your birds housed/in runs.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2022, 03:56:08 pm »
Yep! I think they make it up as they go along. It also depends on whereabouts in the country you live and also if you are in a protection or a surveillance zone courtesy of an outbreak local to you. We're in full lockdown here in Norfolk.

wildandwooly

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2022, 10:20:15 pm »
Maybe I'm just being thick lol but what does it mean when they say keep your chickens in fenced off areas? I have a fenced off area for my chickens but it's part of the garden and open. That's not going to stop wild birds. I have a large enclosed run for them with their coop but then they're not saying to keep them housed!  ::)  At least this year it's been mentioned on the news though. Last year and the year before there was absolutely nothing, I heard about it on the RSPB site and so then looked it up on the gov site. And even then no real info for smallholders or people with a few backyard chickens on the gov website other than just the commercial lot.

Also I understand why they might have to say about not having bird feeders for wild birds but now I'm concerned for the poor wild birds over the winter  :'(

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2022, 07:37:56 am »
The current restrictions you are referring to are almost certainly going to be superseded by a nationwide housing order as is already in place in Norfolk, Suffolk and parts of Essex. Best prepare for this scenario. The writing was on the wall during the summer when avian flu cases persisted beyond last year's lockdown. We made a lot of improved arrangements in anticipation for this winter to help make the management of our flocks over the coming months (if not, alas, indefinitely) a better experience for them and for us.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2022, 01:03:48 pm »
Maybe I'm just being thick lol but what does it mean when they say keep your chickens in fenced off areas? I have a fenced off area for my chickens but it's part of the garden and open. That's not going to stop wild birds. I have a large enclosed run for them with their coop but then they're not saying to keep them housed!  ::)  At least this year it's been mentioned on the news though. Last year and the year before there was absolutely nothing, I heard about it on the RSPB site and so then looked it up on the gov site. And even then no real info for smallholders or people with a few backyard chickens on the gov website other than just the commercial lot.

Also I understand why they might have to say about not having bird feeders for wild birds but now I'm concerned for the poor wild birds over the winter  :'(

All poultry keepers should get an information email of every case of AI from:

APHA
Level H1 County Hall
Spetchley Road
Worcester
WR5 2NP

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

If you don't get that, then contact them.

I think the 'fenced area' is to enable the other biosecurity measures such as dipping boots, changing clothes etc before and after attending poultry.
Luckily for us the migrating geese fly up the valley so don't aim their droppings this way  ;D  :tired:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

wildandwooly

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2022, 01:11:14 am »
Agree PK, it was looking rather inevitable  :(

Thanks Fleecewife I'll do that. And I'll be watching out for the direction of flying geese here  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2022, 03:55:45 pm »
Agree PK, it was looking rather inevitable  :(

Thanks Fleecewife I'll do that. And I'll be watching out for the direction of flying geese here  ;D

:innocent:

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 06:32:25 pm by Richmond »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2022, 05:51:39 am »
Wales is not yet enforcing housing birds either .......   

What is the point now?  This is all about money not birds.

1000's sea bird have died this summer along Ceredigion coast line ....  housing now is too late ..... like Covid it is time to let it run its course I think (sorry any commercial poultry businesses)

There is a commercial pheasant shoot just down the road  from us ....  we have pheasants roaming all over ....pheasants are let out in 1000's  so the wealthy can blast them from the sky .....  have money have own rules!!!

Ok rant over!

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2022, 01:27:26 pm »
Wales is not yet enforcing housing birds either .......   

What is the point now?  This is all about money not birds.

1000's sea bird have died this summer along Ceredigion coast line ....  housing now is too late ..... like Covid it is time to let it run its course I think (sorry any commercial poultry businesses)

There is a commercial pheasant shoot just down the road  from us ....  we have pheasants roaming all over ....pheasants are let out in 1000's  so the wealthy can blast them from the sky .....  have money have own rules!!!

Ok rant over!

It was a lovely rant  ;D and oh so true!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2023, 03:59:45 pm »
We've got it in Clackmannan - just as I was about to rehome some caged hens  :'( :'( :'( 

BHWT aren't sure yet if the rehoming will go ahead or not.  I've been keeping my hens under cover and disinfecting since I heard just in case

I'm just about to buy some enhancement stuff for them - any suggestions other than greens hung on a rope? they don't like cabbage and broccoli. 

I'll check Chubby Mealworms for ideas (Yes I know they legally can't have mealworms !  ::)  ::)  But they have a lot of good stuff   >:( )
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2023, 09:21:52 am »
We hung broccoli for ours, didn't touch it for a couple of days, then seemed to eat it down to stalk in a day. had some salad greens growing, they loved that, and some chickweed growing in the polytunnel, that doesn't last long though,  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2023, 07:35:39 pm »
These are fussy 'too posh to push' French brats - silver wyandottes   Perfectly healthy but haven't laid since summer and won't eat greens.  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

KirinChris

• Joined Apr 2022
  • Bishop Auckland, Durham
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2023, 08:09:33 am »
There seem to be a large number of cases in Scotland lately - 5 this week I think.

I wonder why. Would it be related to the release of grouse for shooting do you think? Or because they didn’t have the same restrictions as England.

Or just bad luck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS