Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Running water to fields?  (Read 6697 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Running water to fields?
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:32:45 am »
So we moved in last Saturday  :o ... things are slowly coming along but my main issue is water!

With so many horses on the land it;s really not feasible to be doing 4 x trips twice a day carrying water on the quad to the fields. I was wanting to find out about running pipes up there but we only have one outdoor tap!!! This outdoor tap also has really bad water pressure!

Our water comes from a private bore hole and the filtration system is in my outhouse - the water pressure in the house is fine but this outdoor tap is so slow running that even if I put my finger over it, it barely sprays!

Does anyone know anything about this kind of stuff?! What do you all do? Hoses/water butts etc etc??

I don't even know where to start with it!! ???  :-\

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
Re: Running water to fields?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 03:16:40 pm »
As a stop gap, I use 25 litre water bottles from my local camping shop. I have 6 which lets me carry 150 litres of water in my 4X4 or in the transporter box on the back of my little tractor.

25 litres is a do-able lift when the bottle is full and fits into the car easily as well.

The bottles aren't expensive but aren't hugely strong so they need to be treated with respect if they are to last.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:25:38 pm »
I got fit over the winter carrying 25 gallon jacks up a litte hill to the pones.  Luckily Baz  linked all the watering system up in april,so that is great. 

Also you can get huge water containers (the ones with the wire frame on them)  they are reasonably priced.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:12:06 am »
That's what I'm wondering Hellybee ... how to link up tyhe water pipes and whether they run from an outdoor tap/the mains etc etc??

I have 12 horses at home right now (split into 4 fields) and although running the truck or the quad up there isn't so much of a problem right now, it's going to ruin my grazing in winter (at 100 gallons per field it also takes a while to get the cans filled too!)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:03:12 am »
Have you read your Emails Lucy? :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:39:43 am »
I am having the same problem.  My solution is that I am buying a portable storage tank. I think you can get two sizes, and I am getting the smaller of the two.  They are the kind that car wash people have and can be moved via trailer (I have to get the smaller one because my trailer can't cope with a ton of water!)  I think it is going to be about 60 quid, but will use water off the roof and recycle it onto the fields!  I'll try and find the link...

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »
Hello G Look up orange juice tanks and molasses tanks.Where Brian works Molasses come in 1000 litre tanks they mix in the coal to make Ovoids The tank is in like 6" weldmesh frames I don't know what happens to them I'll Find out.Just the job for you there is a tap in at the bottom,and of course molasses wont harm the stock.Of course nor does orange juice Google IDS Packaging for an idea of IBC's what I am talking about.They  have some recycled plastic Drums  like 205 ltr
 (45 gallon drum to you IBC means Intermediate Bulk Container D V Fuels have some recycled IBC's ex Lime Juice containers 2 of at under £7.00
Google 1000 ltr IBC's and interagate the pages                  It may be the solution you are look Looking for Lucy
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:17:16 pm »
I agree with Wizards idea of IBC tanks, it's the way to go. I've just put one in the field (1000 litre) fed from the ditch at the top of the field by a 25 mm alcathene pipe stuck in the top of the tank, a 1" BSP fitting on the bottom of the IBC tank crossed over to more 25 mm alcathene pipe and into a double trough complete with ballcock. Works a treat!! Whats more, you can link two or more IBC tanks together and end up with several thousand litres, really handy handy when it comes to dry spells like we have now.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:36:30 pm »
Is the land uphill or downhill?  If its downhill your laughing just get some MDPE piping and run it down the hill, pressure will increase as you go down.  If your going uphill, which I think you are when you say 'upto' the field then it can be a bit of a nightmare.

I gota say though its well worth a little money when it saves all the watering, its a right pain carting water around and having to be there all the time to do it.

This place look pretty reasonable for prices:-
http://www.pipestock.com/mdpe-pipes-fittings-valves/

Ta

Baz

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 07:48:00 am »
I have water! Just FYI a local company has come and swapped some pipes around for us and put a new connection in from our bore hole. As a bonus, none of the water that runs to the fields goes through our filter which will save us a few weeks on a service!

We have had our pipes dealt with, 350 meters of piping with connectors and taps attachments and water in 6 fields for £320!!!

I'm very very pleased!! ;D ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 07:50:49 am »
That sounds most reasonable in 2010 Lucy I am most pleased for you :D :farmer: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS