Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausages .  (Read 3136 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Sausages .
« on: December 11, 2016, 12:36:43 am »
Tonight I made a batch of sausages .

Using three pounds of(  de-skinned by me "  pork shoulder , a pound & a half of belly pork & a pound and a half off Sundays roasting beef joint & Wischenfelders bread crumbs & just under four ounces of  their " Gold " sausage seasoning ,plus 16 ounces of ice cold water .

The sausages have turned out exceedingly well  unlike the last batch that were just skinned pork shoulder , loin of pork bred crumb  & a home made mix of herbs .... they tasted reasonable but were like a mouthful of coarse dry sawdust ... ( Not enough fat ? )

We did a road test of tonight sausage meat  fried one sausage plus also  an inch thick pork , beef & onion burger .

The only thing is we found that Wischenfelder's gold all in one sausage mix is a tad too salty for us .  We took great care to accurately weigh out the right amount of mix for the weight of minced meat )

Does anyone know if it the salt taste will dilute in strength in the sausages over a few weeks in the deep freezer .

Does any one know of an all in one low salt sausage seasoning  slightly peppery & full of herb flavour mix like an old style Lincolnshire sausage .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Sausages .
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 12:00:14 pm »
I always used a baby cereal from Tesco, the blandest to be had (can't for the life of me think what is was called though!)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 01:53:05 pm »
OH and I went on a sausage making course, and we were given a recipe for making up our own sausage mix, which meant we had control of salt content etc. I shall see if I can find it and put some details on here later.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:27:09 am »
Sausage mix from the course I went on - I didn't use this for sausages but did make up pork as per recipe for burgers and pork pies and they were lovely.

10 lbs lean pork
45 gram salt
15 gram white pepper
10 gram ginger powder
10 gram dried sage
10 gram rosemary.
Also suggests adding 10-15 gram of fennel seed for Italian style sausage.
This gives you the option of decreasing the salt and if a test patty is a bit bland you can always add more herbs, salt etc. I don't think I changed things very much.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:40:38 pm »
I like the idea of ginger but half that amount of salt .
however I am able to asses your sausages for you  :sunshine: :sunshine:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:14 pm »
Thanks Louise , your recipe is very close to what  I'd previously been using .
 That's what you get trying to be clever using pre made shop stuff .

I'll use your recipe next time we run up a batch .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS