Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys  (Read 2584 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Turkeys
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »
We are thinking about getting some turkeys to raise for christmas,are they hard to keep/feed/look after.

Thanks

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:12:51 pm »
They drop dead at the drop of a hat I hear.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:33:28 pm »
not true. they are just diffrent from chickens. a bit softer and needing a slightly diffrent aproach but they are easy to raise once past the chick stage. it very worthwhile and when your eating your own christmas dinner that you raised you will enjoy it. the only important things are worming and making sure they don't get cold whilst young. they eat alot but you gain in the end.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »
I agree with Paul. Just need a bit more TLC than chickens but if you are set up right no problems.

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:25:12 pm »
My daughter had some and she reconed they were very friendly and would follow her, I want some for Christmas too, I may freeze some but I am going to have ALL my three daughters and thier family stay here for Christmas, one is comming from Auss!!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 08:15:10 am »
try and not get to friendly with them. they taste better if you don't feel guilty about eating a friend.

Teresa

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 04:41:28 pm »
What do you feed them? Are their special turkey feeds or is it the same feed you give to chickens?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:06:40 pm »
your ment to feed them turkey growers and then finishers. but we don't bother they just have the layers pellets and maise. they don't seem to suffer too much. they free range and are greedy so the 3 quid a bag mounts up diffrence mounts up..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS