Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2nd hatch in incubator  (Read 5981 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
2nd hatch in incubator
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:49:41 pm »
Hi I've just put my second lot of eggs in. 12 welsummer and 6 aracuna (not sure on spelling!) black rock crosses. Anyone got any? I liked the look of them but the hatching eggs were like bantam eggs didn't expect that as birds looked really big. eBay eggs so we will see may come out totally different!

bamford6

Re: 2nd hatch in incubator
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:06:25 pm »
iff the black rocks are split it will lower the eggs that they lay .iv had a go at most .i think that iff you use road island red /light Sussex very good just under the black rocks .a nother bared Plymouth rock hens road island red cock sex Link .a nother is welsummer hen Indian game cock very good for eggs and eating .the e bay eggs wont be up to much .so get a box full off a breeder .say 3 road 3 Sussex 3 Scots dumpy 3 orpingtons 3 bared rock 3 silki and do that 3 times cost from me £15 and 5.50 post £20 .50 pence .the birds would be £17 to 25 pound each at 8 weeks .sell the cocks as pares to get rid off them .should have 10 or 12 nice layers road for the cross with welsummer and Sussex silkies for you're brooding and crossing with Sussex copper top £7 day olds very profitabul

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:45:00 pm »
ours went in at same time then!
derbyshire redcaps, wyandotte , lemon & lavender buff frizzle pekins. 
hope they do well....
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 01:11:23 pm »
Fingers crossed little blue !

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:16:36 pm »
I candled mine last night to see if anything doing. Looks promising for 15 out of 18. 10 welsummers and 5 aracuna black rocks. So fingers crossed.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:07:01 pm »
15/18, thats good!
I prefer not to know....
will they abrs lay blue eggs?  or have I made that up?!
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:10:22 pm »
No don't think so very pale eggs quite small like bantam eggs I think. I was pleased let's see if they all make it. Have to say I seem to be lucky with eBay eggs so far..

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 05:53:45 pm »
Well we have 3 chicks already hubby tells me. 1 day early! Must be the heat I guess. Let's see how others do today and tomorrow then  :chook:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 07:07:06 pm »
good for you!
we've had two hatch but both "premature" - yolk sac attached, bloody, and died   :(
but at least 5 pipping....
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 07:56:51 pm »
Oh sorry little blue. These are early as I say but seem ok right now fingers crossed they're  under heat and seem to be doing fine. As you say fingers crossed x

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 08:10:07 am »
Well I've had 5 out of 6 black rock crosses hatch but only 4 of 12 welsummer. No sign of life in others. Only day 22 now so still may get more but don't think so. I know more were fertile so it appears between day 12 and now they've died. Could be because I didn't put up the humidity until Monday morning forgot Sunday night. Well we will see later.
How did you do little blue?

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 09:47:58 am »
5 out of 6 - you must be well chuffed with those.  I'm expecting some of mine to hatch today - we only put six in at a time and have had 3/6 (rodney, Casandra and Raquel) and 2/6 (yet to be named as I haven't sexed them yet!) success rate.  I was gutted with the first batch as two of them didn't make it out of their shells, the second batch we had a powercut and I lost three.

We put them in water on Tuesday night and got four 'shakers' so looking promising. Even though this is the third time I've done it I'm still massively excited and apprehensive!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »
had 3/6 (rodney, Casandra and Raquel) and 2/6 (yet to be named as I haven't sexed them yet!) success rate. 
to follow your theme... I named our tabbycat "Del-boy" before even its eyes were opened... yes, its a girl ! so she's Delby.
Del works either way, Captain!

We've had 8 Derbyshire redcaps hatch, 2 frizzle pekins and one lemon cuckoo frizzle.  no sign of the wyandottes... will candle them.
so v chuffed, hope they go on ok....

And may have homes for the cockerels from the May batch... one needs to decide if its a he or a she!
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 11:24:20 pm »
Well done little blue pleased for you.

Yes I'm chuffed re the black rocks but disappointed with the welsummers. 1 more hatched tonight.. Quite weak so I helped.. I know should leave them but it'll either live or not it wouldve been a not if I hadn't it was stuck for hours .

Will open the others tomorrow if not hatched to see what went wrong.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 11:37:02 am »
Had 4 pip last night after letting them do the wobble dance in a bowl of water again last night which was subsequently followed by 4 small holes appearing shortly afterwards. Woke this morning to find one hatched out but no real progress on the other three, although all them are chirping to each other.

With the two that hatched out last time we helped them along the way, having not had two hatch out even though they were fully grown so we were a bit paranoid about them getting stuck.  They were weak when they first came out and but are now flourishing into a couple of real nice birds.  I removed a little bit of shell (about 3mm diameter) from the four that hadn't hatched this morning and waiting for a report from the wife and their progress.  There are a  few guides on the internet on how to help them along.

If stil no joy stick them in a bowl of water (same temperature as thier incubator) and see if they wobble/float.  Good luck!  :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS