Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2nd hatch in incubator  (Read 7331 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: 2nd hatch in incubator
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 12:52:43 pm »
All four have now hatched and are currently chirping away under the heat lamp.  Well chuffed!  ;D ;D ;D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 07:26:51 pm »
Well done captain. I think my last ones have died  no movement at all but the weak chick seemed ok this morning. Will see when I get in from work

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 08:36:16 pm »
we have two of the bantams with very bad legs... going to see how they get on over tomorrow.  they dont look too promising  :(

but the others are fine, moved into the larger brooder cage today with food & water

we opened the other eggs - out of the fertile ones, one was very under developed and two were not far of fully developed.  so the DRCs were 10/12 fertile, but 8/10 healthy...
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 09:35:11 pm »
Not bad little blue. I had 6 not fertile 2 dead in shells, 1 not far off developed 1 mustve died just before due. The one I helped seems to have bad legs not standing up properly can't see anything wrong with them just doesn't seem to stand properly. Like you we will have to see how it goes. I suppose it's a vase of nature does know best.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 09:36:40 pm »
:)
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 10:11:16 pm »
If they have splayed lags you can "splint" them by putting a plaster (just anormal Elastoplast Fabric one), cut narrow strip, tape one sticky end round one leg, other sticky end round the other, so legs can't go splat again. After a few days they should be ok, if not you would have to put them down, as tey wouldn't be able to move around. But we have had a couple of those on our last two batches, and they have survived and done very well indeed.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 10:16:00 pm »
They don't seem splayed just not standing up well but thanks for the tip.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS