Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time to replace my cockerals  (Read 1438 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Time to replace my cockerals
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:24:18 am »
I have 2 stunning year old Cuckoo Maran cockerals, they're "7 pointers" so show standard and very active and fertile. I need to replace them as we are losing lots of hens to Foxes and badgers (about 7 or 8 so far this year) and I want to introduce their offspring to replace our laying hens. I know that chicken genetics are different to humans but I still dont like the thought of them servicing their daughters.

Does anybody have a pair of Maran cockerals they would like to swap?

I'm in North Yorkshire but don't mind travelling a reasonable distance. I'd hate to have to put them in the pot and start all over again so if anyone can help or knows someone...

Hardfeather

Re: Time to replace my cockerals
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:43:11 pm »
I still dont like the thought of them servicing their daughters.

But that's precisely the best way to maintain the quality of your stock.

You mate pullets to their sire and the best young cocks to their mothers and aunts.

That's line breeding.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:21:57 pm »
Have a look on my web site there is an explanation on line breeding on there.

www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:12:50 am »
quick fix get some very good standed eggs there are some supper stock out there iff you bought 8 and got 5 or six keep all stock together leg ring youres . no probs iff you have no incubater get some 1 to do it .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS