Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grazing Agreement  (Read 11387 times)

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
Re: Grazing Agreement
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 07:15:09 pm »
You are making up scenarios Black Sheep!

Yep, but only to illustrate principles :)

I have no experience of grazing licenses or agricultural tenancy agreements so my questions are genuine as I'm trying to understand why they wouldn't be enforceable as contracts and if so why it wouldn't be an effective solution to include clauses that deal with problems like non-vacation. I agree, things always work better between reasonable people!

However, as a landlord of 40+ years, I can assure you that by the time you find out that your tenant is NOT a reasonable person, it can be very difficult and time consuming to get rid of them.

I quite agree, also as a landlord, and the scenario you mention where people just do a runner without paying the current month's rent is quite accurate... unfortunately!

But surely this doesn't have to turn into a heated argument?
People post on here in order to get other people's opinions and experience. There's not necessarily a right or wrong and I'm not alone in stating that I don't think a grazing or tenancy agreement is necessarily a watertight solution. This is based on my own experience. Your experience may be different.

Sorry, I hadn't intended it to become, or seem like, one :) As mentioned above I'm genuinely interested in why the experience of you and others is the way it is and why agreements aren't able to be written in a way that provides more safeguards. It seems wrong that people who want to help out others have to leave themselves open to being taken for a ride.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Grazing Agreement
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 10:20:30 pm »
We rented our fields out to someone who supplied the rental agreement, contained things such as who he would allow on the land, liability for fences, his insurance, dates of start and finish. I amended his grazing/ haymaking to just grazing. Didn't cover the dead sheep lying on the land, or the trailer which he must have put then in which we could smell 400metres up at the house.
That didn't last long.
Next one, 6month,  £20 acre with verbal agreement he would do something with the docks, thistles and rushes. Did s*d all, and left sheep on for an extra month no extra rent.
Next time I'll ask for extra money up front.

So J&J,  depends how you value your land and the farmers reputation ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS