Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Increase height of stock fencing  (Read 4768 times)

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
Increase height of stock fencing
« on: November 15, 2016, 07:23:07 pm »
I've had an area of my paddock fenced with 4ft stock fencing and used for pigs, but I want to try it out as a veg patch next year. My only issue is deer, so I am trying to find the easiest way to increase the height of the fencing, potentially with 1 or 2 strands of electric tape.

I think I've seen this approach before, but was wondering if people just buy the normal plastic electric fence posts and tie them to the existing wooden posts somehow, or if there are proper kits for doing this. Has anyone done this, or is there an easier way to keep deer out I'm missing?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Increase height of stock fencing
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 07:49:50 pm »
I've not done it for deer but have used electric fence posts tied as you say for a horse that was a pesky high jumper. It is a fairly cheap and effective way to do it.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:39:11 pm »
I welded some washers onto some angle iron with holes drilled in, screwed it into the posts, then put wire around it.

Corner posts needed two angles on it.

Baz

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:19:41 pm »
I welded some washers onto some angle iron with holes drilled in, screwed it into the posts, then put wire around it.

Corner posts needed two angles on it.

Baz

Trying to this work out Baz. any chance of a photo ?
We have problems with deer as well,

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:47:52 pm »
We added deer stobs (2m) between the existing smaller stobs, and the odd giant strainer, then ran a roll of cheap and cheerful, light weight sheep mesh above the original.  They do that hereabouts to keep deer out of the forestry plantations.  Ours was to prevent our Soay tup getting in with the neighbour's pedigrees, but no deer has ever jumped it....but then we only rarely get deer wanting in - mostly they are in the plantations nibbling young conifers  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:45:32 pm »
my pictures end up in cyberspace without an address

Get some angle iron for the height you want including enough to. weld washers on at post height, drill holes in the top (2 or 5) and thread galv tension wire through it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:47:35 pm by bazzais »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 06:49:03 pm »
20 or 30 of these for making will only take about 3 hours then bolting them to a fence another 2

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 10:51:42 am »
Thanks for the ideas - I need to find a way to keep them out of my garden as well so might end up with different solutions in different places

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS