Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kunie Kunie pigs  (Read 4520 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Kunie Kunie pigs
« on: July 31, 2008, 12:17:10 pm »
Perhaps I am bing naive here, but are Kunie Kunie's kept as pets or what, as they are so small. We used to have GOS until my son had to move to Cardiff for work (they were mainly his) and I didn't really have the time to look after them as they were about 1/2 mile from house free ranging, might I add within electric fencing, but the boar was a gentle giant of an escape artist. he sometimes managed to get shocked and would jump over the fence and  root around on our pastures and it was the devils own job to get him back in. We normally had to wait until feeding time. Now a Kunie Kunie would be more my size.  :pig:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Kunie Kunie pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:54:18 pm »
I saw them first on the Brucklay Estate at Maud - they are lovely.  Andrew has loads and was looking for homes last time I was there.  Don't have contact details but the Estate should be easy to trace,  Go for it - if I had room I'd have a couple.  The spotted ones are very pretty, but so are the teddy bear ones. and they have super natures
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:57:02 pm »
I understand that Kune Kune pork is lovely but they seem to be mainly pets - don't know if the pork would be quite fatty.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:30:38 pm »
Kaz if you wanted pets and pork without too much size, have you thought of mangalitsas?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:08:55 pm »
There's someone in Aberdeenshire breeding Mangalitzas - can't remember where I saw this butI'm sure Google will help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS