Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nursing sow losing weight  (Read 6475 times)

Dr Dolittle

• Joined May 2008
    • Valhalla Farm
Nursing sow losing weight
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:33:01 pm »
Hi everyone,

If any of you could offer any tips or advice on special feeding requirements for a nursing sow I would be very grateful.
I can't find anything in my books or on the internet, and I may be panicing unnecessarily, but...

My Vietnamese Pot Belly had her first litter five weeks ago. Though the piglets are fine and growing well (they all look to be a good weight) Mum is steadily losing more and more weight. Though her teats seem large and there seems to be no problem with the piglets suckling, she looks very thin and boney. I can now clearly see her ribs and hip bones.
     I have kept her on the same hard feed as before (granules) but increased the amount a little. From 3 weeks old I have put separate food down for the piglets and ensured they don't eat Tan-Tan's food. During the day she is out and about and has plenty of grass, roots, etc. in the pen.
     Should I simply increase her amount of food a lot more or does she need a specific feed (the chap at Gamm Vert said "No" to that question but I'm not sure). Or supplements?
     Any ideas?

Cheers.
Karen.

antcheetham

• Joined Aug 2008
Re: Nursing sow losing weight
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:46:43 pm »
I have no experience with pot bellies but we have middle whites and large blacks they always go a thin but usually get better about 8-10 weeks, having piglets takes a lot out of them. I would increase her food as she is lactating so will be going straight to milk.

Dr Dolittle

• Joined May 2008
    • Valhalla Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:16:31 pm »
Hi Antcheetham,

Thanks for your reply. I assumed producing enough milk for her greedy lot would 'take it out of her' but hadn't expected such a drastic change. I'm relieved to hear going thin is normal and not because I am failing to give her something extra she needs. I will increase her feed even more and keep an eye on her.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:11:24 pm »
My pig book says that a lactating sow should get 8lb feed plus 1lb for each piglet - so a sow with 10 piglets should get 18lb of food a day. That'f or a full-sized pig, so a potbelly will be less - but it is indicative of how much the daily feed has to go up when they are lactating.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 05:12:11 pm »
Hilary's daughter has much the same problem each time she produces.  Can you offer large quantities of veggies, preferably blanched or cooked, cooked spuds, bread anything fattening as well as the pig nuts.  You will not notice much of an improvement until after she has weaned.

Dr Dolittle

• Joined May 2008
    • Valhalla Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:18:31 am »
Thanks all.

Have suitably increased feed and will make sure she has plenty of veg.
Only a few weeks 'til weaning time (then we can all get back to normal!)

Karen

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 02:59:11 pm »
It may be worth bringing the weaning forward a little if she keeps feeding 'off her back'. Our saddleback Molly was still happy to feed, but, despite an increased ration, she was losing weight fast so we took her out at seven weeks. It's taken her a month to get back to anything like decent condition, while the piglets are absolutely fine.

Dr Dolittle

• Joined May 2008
    • Valhalla Farm
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 07:53:45 pm »
Hi Malc,

Yeah, I had planned to move her at 7 weeks. The piglets are already eating hard feed, grass, etc. and doing well.
Your comments have confirmed it for me.
During steep learning curves when you wonder if you're doing the right thing it is definitely worth asking those in the know and, I have to say, this forum keeps me sane! (Or, is it insane? I'm no longer sure!!!)

But, now, I woudn't be without my pigs.

Cheers

Karen

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 07:26:31 am »
Karen we have all been there.  All had to be novices before we became the learned sages that we all aspire to be.  (That was tongue in cheek before anyone thinks I cant get my head through the door).  Sounds as if you are doing a really good job.  HM

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS