Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to grow in the pig pen  (Read 2852 times)

countrymum91

• Joined May 2016
What to grow in the pig pen
« on: November 28, 2016, 11:03:21 am »
Hi all!
Pigs have moved for the winter from the pen into the freezer
I wondered if the empty pen would be suitable for growing stuff over the winter into spring?  Clueless but have grown a few carrots in the past  :thumbsup:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: What to grow in the pig pen
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:48:49 am »
First concern is that the dung will be too fresh really, but that depends how thinly it is spread :D

You could see if any garden centres still have small brassica plants for sale; garlic; broad beans... a lot of winter stuff should be already in the ground.
General winter salad greenery could work too.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 12:32:46 pm »
what about fodderbeet/turnips? They fix nitrogen back into the soil and also provide excellent feed for any animal :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

DrMunns

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 10:08:18 pm »
I put down a green manure after pigs, something that fixes nitrogen and attracts bees trefoil is good, then I dig it in and grow veg the third year. I'm a bit paranoid about parasites and have enough space for a three year rotation.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS