Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blonde question re fresh pork  (Read 7956 times)

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Blonde question re fresh pork
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 01:59:20 pm »
Can't find my course notes now  (probably in the loft). But Stanford uni says less than 21.

https://web.stanford.edu/group/parasites/ParaSites2004/Taeniasis/

Is there a downside to freezing for longer though?

Dans

not over the time periods we're talking about, i doubt. when you start getting into months it's not as good

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 09:22:33 pm »
Both our freezers freeze to -21C, though we usually have them at -18C. They're ordinary 6ft tall ones.

Once had a few bits left at the back of the freezer a year later, tasted like supermarket pork by then :(

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 08:44:19 am »
huh?  worms were eradicated from pork some time ago.  There are no issues and especially in high welfare out door raised.  Hence the reason why pork can be eaten a bit pink.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 05:21:29 pm »
let me tell you a story:

Circa 1969 and I'm a humble vet student. I have become infatuated with a lady colleague and madly keen to take our relationship further. I finally get an invite to Sunday lunch with her parents and dress myself in my best (only) finery and duly present myself at their spotless mansion in Kent. I'm suitably nervous and trying hard to be the suave sophisticate that might be considered a valid suitor... except for the nerves. The sweating gets worse, I start to get awful gut pains all due to the nerves and spent most of the day running back and forth to their loo with unnatural sounds emanating from that smallest room. It was a trial for this pale and shaking lovelorn student

Somehow I make it through the day and return to my lonely garret room in North London (and it was a garret ) hoping for that terrible experience to subside and knowing I have lost my first love forever.

Around 2 am I have another need to visit the bowl of doom.. and this time pass several 10" Ascaris Suum.. worse perhaps because I was able to identify the things and had visible experience of how they look inside pig guts. I freaked - leapt into my car and went looking for a doctor. I hammered on every door with a brass plate indiscriminatly waking up a couple of architects and other assorted professionals before actually finding a doctor - who I'm glad to say was actually quite sympathetic and gave me a chit for the all-night pharmacy.

Cook pork well - I blasted well do!!!

(She ended up working in Cumbria married to a nice chap who wasn't me)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 04:34:59 pm »
Well [member=16228]pgkevet[/member] i reckon you've spoiled many a pork Christmas lunch with that tale!   I am mightily glad I've done mine as gammon after reading that. You have a few years on me but I have to confess I too would not eat pink pork much as I like pork it is the one meat that has to be reasonably well cooked in this house probably from similar tales from my grandmother.  Of course in her day and time (born London 1893) it would have been the back yard pig with full access to the back yard privy.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 05:40:49 pm »
The one thing my flatmate hated that i was fond of (in that era) was black pudding. I'm convinced that was the source of contamination and it was a decade before I could eat black pudding again.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 08:15:18 pm »
huh?  worms were eradicated from pork some time ago.  There are no issues and especially in high welfare out door raised.  Hence the reason why pork can be eaten a bit pink.

i think it's a little short sighted to say we've eradicated worms, we still worm all our livestock?
I think modern (western) semi-intensive husbandry has largely done away with them but i myself do wonder if we, as outdoor only breeders/rearers are actually more susceptible than supermarket pork

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 02:26:11 pm »
pgkevet  ........Too right ....... cook pork till it's white & starting to show fibres without juices present  doing it as   25 min per pound plus 25 min @ 180 oC .

One army unit I was at in Germany  saw a lot of the the lads who lived in barracks go down with pork worms .  It was traced back to a drunken full corporal not cooking safely on the day  . He got reduced to the rank of private .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS