Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - Female breeding llama  (Read 6589 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Wanted - Female breeding llama
« on: June 03, 2010, 01:33:35 pm »
Robbie our male guard llama needs a lady friend.  Our vet is not keen on even treating llamas let alone castrating one, but if we do not find him a female soon, I will have to find a vet to do the job.  That would be a shame, as I am sure he will produce some lovely cria.

So, we are looking for a breeding female, preferably similar age, to Robbie (2-3 years)  Quiet to handle, halter broken if possible, but not essential.  Lifetime home offered, will be well looked after.  To live out, as Robbie guards the hens, but field shelter provided.

Cannot afford silly prices, but happy to pay reasonable price.

Located in Derbyshire, but will travel reasonable distance.

LLJ

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Wanted - Female breeding llama
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 04:37:05 pm »
We have llamas for sale but we're in Aberdeenshire so we're a bit far away but more than happy to help out if you need something.
Have a look at the British Llama Society website as there's a chap there selling a herd, no prices though and there was something about going in pairs.
There's also a list of breeders there that might give you a few idea
White Post Farm is Notts usually has llamas for sale but don't know about prices
Drop me a note if you're still stuck and I can send a few more names in your area.

Good Luck

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 05:14:49 pm »
May I ask, purely out of interest, what price a Llama sells for? Thanks.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:48:47 pm »
I did a quick google James and found this place http://www.watertownllamas.co.uk/forsale.htm seems they go from £250 up to £2250 - quite a range  ;) You're not thinking of getting some ?.........................are you ?  :o ;D ;D ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:03:57 am »
Thank you LLJ - Nottingham is not too far away from us.  I am happy to travel a reasonable distance though.

James, if you wanted a castrated male llama you can usually pick one up very reasonable, but they do often come in pairs.  Females, well, if you buy a cria (young one) again, not too highly priced, but not many for sale, and any females tend to be quite expensive.

I am not doing it to make money, just for Robbie to have company, but a youngster would be a bonus of course.  He guards the poultry, and has the two big goats, a pet sheep and a small pony for company, but its not fair keeping him without a female.  And he has taken to trying to mate with the large Anglo Nubian goats, who are castrated boys, which is not a good idea.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:12:23 am »
Thanks Karen and NO - definately not!!!

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Welshpool- Shropshire/ Powys
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 11:15:19 am »
Hi Roxy,

I have an 11 month old Female for sale. I can tell you more about her and provide more pictures if you are interested.

Good luck in your search for his new friend!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 11:27:47 am »
I'm just being nosey here but would love to seea pic of your girl. :) :)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 10:57:32 pm »
Arent they sweet. I guess they are for pets then?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:05:46 pm by Jackie »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 08:57:51 am »
Just out of interest, how easy/difficult are they to keep?

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 10:54:36 am »
I've attached a couple of pictures of Tia.

She's halter training well, although still a little bit timid.

Llamas are sweet, and not necessarily for pets. They can be guards for sheep, go trekking, pull carts or simply breed. They are a very diverse and intruiging species.
In my experience of them, they are very easy to keep. We also have goats, sheep, horses, dogs, chickens and ducks and the llamas are by far the easiest to keep. Their feet dont need trimming an awful lot (if at all because they wear them down well if they have a hard standing), you don't HAVE to shear them, they get on well together and we havent had an illness to date.

Great animals to keep!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 11:32:31 am »
Thanks for the pictures, she is absolutely gorgeous, dare I ask how much you would expect to pay? :)

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 12:11:52 pm »
Thankyou, she is a very good looking llama. Female llamas are fairly expensive. They start at around 800-1000 for a young one. Then they go up as they become proven mothers. Then come down again as they get older. We would be asking the 900 mark for Tia. I would say males are a lot cheaper but they don't seem that cheap anymore! (600 - 800 I've seen!). You not got llamas yourself?

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 12:13:12 pm »
go on James its only one more mouth to feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Craig

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 12:16:01 pm »
Wow, thanks I think I have enough with the 60 odd animals I have but would actually love to add 1, perhaps one day. Good luck is sellong your girl.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS